Looking for a suitable presentation switcher

Moorhouses

Hi All,

Looking to upgrade our video system here in the venue. We're currently using an Orchestra2 ORC50 which does it job, but is a bit OTT with us only running 1/2 sources through it at any one time.

I'm looking at a single 19u like a Kramer or Extron unit which will offer the following;

• Offer main output as well as preview output.
  • Offer multiple HDMI inputs as well as various analogue (VGA, BNC if possible)
  • Have the ability to 'fade' between sources as opposed to a 'snap' like my old Kramer unit.
  • Have network features so we can control the unit via an iPad/laptop should we need.

I'm looking at the Extron In1608 aswell as a Kramer VP-445 - however, Kramer haven't been too helpful with my questions, and with similar past experiences with them, I'm tempted to go elsewhere. The Extron looks great and extremely configurable, but is expensive and I wonder if it's again a bit OTT for what we need.

Can anyone suggest any others that I can take a look at?

Many thanks, -Moorhouses

I love the Analog way kit too, new stuff is very nice.

By having the requirement for main/preview you're going to be looking at high end kit. None of the "basic" switcher scalers that I can think of have it.

Another contender to throw into the mix is the Roland stuff:

https://proav.roland.com/global/products/vr-50hd/

I know it's not racked, but it's very flexible.

If you can live in a world without scalers the new Blackmagic ATEM TV studio thingummybob looks nice! Full multiviewer support and less than a grand! (Repeat - no scalers!).

If you can live in a world without scalers the new Blackmagic ATEM TV studio thingummybob looks nice! Full multiviewer support and less than a grand! (Repeat - no scalers!).

I would not attempt to use the Atem as a laptop/pc switcher without having some sort of magic scaling box on the front end. We have one (of the older design) and some PC's just won't work with it even though they say they are set to the correct resolution/refresh rate.

However you can probably get the TV Studio and a couple of updowncross converters for a lot less money than any competing device. Doesn't have any analog inputs though (VGA or composite)

Barco PDS902?

Demo the Roland vr50 very thoroughly before you commit. I just deployed 10 racks with them in and was sorely disappointed with the audio side. Also there are some quirks that Roland seem unwilling to address at all- not too impressed with the service from them TBQH

You could use the Datavideo DAC70 with the Atem to give you HDMI and VGA inputs

• 2 weeks later...

I would not attempt to use the Atem as a laptop/pc switcher without having some sort of magic scaling box on the front end. We have one (of the older design) and some PC's just won't work with it even though they say they are set to the correct resolution/refresh rate.

However you can probably get the TV Studio and a couple of updowncross converters for a lot less money than any competing device. Doesn't have any analog inputs though (VGA or composite)

Only HDMI and SDI inputs on the new Blackmagic units (they are great little bits of kit though, but yes no scalers all sadly ), so you would need a converter of some description. The Image Pro is still a firm favourite, can handle most things you throw at it and has still stores, and scaling etc

• 3 weeks later...

Archived