JBL Control 1 Speakers

partyadz

Hi all

Does anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking about using a pair to fill in sound for the two front rows of a small auditorium which the main FOH speakers don't cover particularly well.

What are people's general thoughts on them? Are they easy to rig from standard scaff (which is already at the venue)? For the price and size, any other recommendations on similar units if you hate these?

Many thanks

Adam

Adam,

Depends on the gig and the auditorium. Clearly they aren't designed as PA speakers.

Mounting is via a single 1/4" screw thread so you would need some sort of scaff mounting frame. There is also a safety wire point but it is a bit small. Connections are via spring cable clips, but mine live with short trailing leads to speakon attached.

I have used them for spot effects and for low level FOH fill, and have found them to be pretty much indestructible. They are not especially sensitive but will go fairly loud. IIRC they are technically rated at 150wrms but are only about 87dB/W Make sure that you go for the pro version though- the cheaper ones are a completely different animal!

Rob

There are at least three - the Control-1, the Control-1 Pro, and the Control-1 Xtreme. The Xtreme and the original are pretty similar, both have 100mm LF drivers and are rated at '100W' (yeah, right!). The Pro has a 130mm LF driver, and is rated at 150W. I think the original was 4ohm, and the others are both 8?

Nice one cheers guys. Is it possible to attach a G-Clamp onto them via the 1/4inch screw thread? I ideally need to hang them off a piece of scaff. Or any other suggestions on hanging brackets/kits?

Thanks

With a 1/4 inch bolt and a couple of suitable washers there should be no reason why not! If I recall correctly, the venue that I used to work at had special brackets for some of the control 1's, they weren't made in-house, so must be available somewhere.

I think that Canford make mounting brackets. Last time I mounted mine on a stage front I cut out an MDF mounting bracket, fixed to the speaker with a 1/4 bolt, then screwed that to the stage front!

Rob

I have loads of these that used to be installed in my pub as the music and PA system for quiz night etc, they were also used a fills during discos fed from a four channel inter m amp!

I now use them as a small portable PA system and they are ideal for AV and smaller venue work, we also used them at ITV as audience PA speakers and they are pretty bomb proof and can give a decent sound level!

Mounting can be a pain but a mod to include a bracket is easy to do!

I paid around £60 a pair off e-bay seven years ago and they are sill going strong!

Canford do make mounting brackets for them (I'm afraid I can't find the link on their website), but I seem to recall the last ones I used had a 3/8 inch mounting thread; so be prepared to drill it out :)

E2A - just found the link

http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/18-091_CANFORD-LOUDSPEAKER-L-BRACKET-Wall-or-microphone-stand-for-Control-1-pair

Don't forget the "Control ONE" - the Silver variety specifically denoted as ONE instead of 1 for consumer use. That said I've seen them mounted in all sorts of shops and such. I doubt there's much difference at all. they wouldn't go to the expense of changing all the components surely....

Don't forget the "Control ONE" - the Silver variety specifically denoted as ONE instead of 1 for consumer use. That said I've seen them mounted in all sorts of shops and such. I doubt there's much difference at all. they wouldn't go to the expense of changing all the components surely....

The consumer version is also available in black.

Have 6 pairs of these at work & do quite like the sound of them. Also come with a mount kit, albeit a plastic one, which for the normal pro control 1 they are a pretty expensive additional component.

Archived