JBL Control 1 Speakers

partyadz

We have 2 4-speaker systems using Control1's for AV purposes in two of our music technology teaching rooms, fantastic little speakers really. I also know a couple of recording/editing studios that use them for referencing alongside Yamaha HS80 monitors, though I've no idea how well they work in that situation.

On the subject of brackets, I've just remembered these as well, available from Thomann (ours use the ball-type fitment) - not quite G clamp friendly, though!

Really? All the 'PRO' ones I've bought have had the 'ball and socket' mount included. Would be a shame if they had dropped this.

Was a while (15 years) back when purchased a pair of the 150W 4ohm variants & didn't have any brackets only some MTC?? metal options for £30+ if my memory serves me well, but I stand corrected Bob!

One local theatre has the Control 1's for upstairs balcony fills and they behave just fine.

It's worth pointing out Thomann's own offering in this market though, The Box 104. A pair work out a wee bit cheaper than the JBL's, and as a fill speaker to my eyes they look a bit nicer. They're heavier and whilst they have a lower peak SPL, for a centre fill in theatre they still look to be a nice little box. What's more useful though is the 8 ohm impedance. With the JBL's you're either going to have to wire them in series or have a channel each (assuming your amp won't drive down to 2 ohms of course). You could happily get a pair of the Thomann ones on one channel, and they're speakon so for temporary stuff they're going to be quicker to rig. And they've got some proper rigging points on them to attach half couplers.

They do a slightly larger 2 driver one here which I'd maybe consider as a centere fill mounted on the lip of the stage.

I only mention them because there was a recent thread about them which I seem to remember was pretty positive. That said, I now can't find it anywhere!

Archived