Small Desk

Adrianfreston

Okay, Large-ish gig coming up. Main desk will either be a GrandMA, Hog or the like.

Not worried about that bit.

We have a selection of break out rooms and event spaces total of 8, the event is not until early next year. As with all of these spaces you have little or no time. The rigs will be very simple, in comparison to the main event, and will simply be generic lighting.

Here is the challenge... I need a desk that is small and easy to program. And can be used by a AV Tech (so no monitors or they will try to plug a feed into it) or (god help us) a Sound Engineer! (no offence intended).

I need 24 Channels in each space and it needs to be able to do simple chases etc. I need a memory desk. Oh it needs to be re-programmed regularly so that bit needs to be quick and easy as well.

I am asking as it has been a very long time since I used a desk of this size and wanted to know what was out there.

I thank you.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strand 200 12/24? Excellent build quality, 24 channels in wide mode, two pages of 24 subs with timed crossfades available, good basic effects section, quick and easy to program, fairly easy to modify programmed states, external VDU option available for more adventurous programming, and can usually be picked up from somewhere like AC Lighting at a pretty good price.

Hi adrian

If u want a dead simple desk ur got the frog by zero 88. they putting loads of these in schools but they are a good desk, prob cheaper then the strand and I bet a lot easyer to use if these people never use a desk before, not a great fan of stand my self. the Grand MA on the other hand is my baby. if u really wanna go all out is a bit mad but u could us Grand MA micro´s or even Ultra Lights. use MA net to link the system together. a ma desk for play back can be used by anyone. they simple as anything. price is a bit more thou. depends if u got a budget which is gonna spill out to the extras. frogs would quite easly do the job

Links

Zero 88 FROG

Grand MA ULTRA LIGHT

Grand MA MICRO

Hope this may have been some help. I would personally stear clear of a stand for a first time user on the desk, but just not my cup of tea.

Hope this may have been some help. I would personally stear clear of a stand for a first time user on the desk, but just not my cup of tea.

The OP specifically stated that he only needed 24 channels, and there was no mention of any requirement for moving light functionality, so all of those suggestions are serious overkill, Matt. If you want to recommend a Zero88 product for this situation, I'd have thought an Elara or Alcora would be much closer to the mark.

And what's wrong with Strand for a first-time user? The 200 has a user interface that's just as easy and intuitive as any other desk of that kind of size. Have you ever used one, Matt?

what about the zero88 xls [or was it the xl24?]. - 24 channels. DMX patch, chase/memory on bottom faders

fairly cheap and cheerfull desk.

once programmed, it is very nearly idiot proof too.

I thought it had been replaced by the Alcora/Elara ... could be wrong, though ...

Alcora would be perfect or maybe even a preprogrammed strand GSX, smaller than the LBX (I think its got 2 x 24 playback) but a fiarly useful wee desk if you can lay yours hands on a couple.

Dont know if this would work for your requirements but it may be possible to run of a few Zero88 linebackers for pre recorded scenes.

Only thing to remember though is wether you need DMX or D54 for your generic dimmers.

D

Maybe I can give you some hints from Germany:

The standard desk for the recommended technical fearures would be a MA Lightcommander 12/24 (ca. 800 EUR), or its low-cost copy Behringer LC2412 (ca. 250 EUR). These desks are really simple to operate, and the MA is an absolutely industry standard.

I`d be a little careful with the mentioned Zero88 ELARA. I coincidentially had to operate this thing on friday, the first time in my life. I almost had serious problems just to programm a simple chaser - and I`ve been doing such things for at last 8 years before. And another thing to think about is its external power supply.

As well LSC Atom or Axiom would match the requirements. Its advantage may be to be able to store 12 Chasers on faders, MA&Behringer just have 4, ELARA only 3.

If you really need a totally compact Desk with great features, have a look a the Lite-Puter Junior DMX. It features only 6 faders, but you have full access to 512 Channels, 40 stored memories (only assignable by numbers), some chasers(with maybe 10 fixed steptimes from about 0,1sec - 3?? min) and most important: a numerical Keypad&LCD display 16x2 characters. As ad-on you have accus inside, so it can be operated independent for several hours. Oh almost forgot: you have an HTP-operating link-through on 5-pin XLR - and all of that for less than 250 EUR...

I love this thing, especially for some extra channls you don`t want to stuff on your preset-faders, like working light, frontlights, fog-control or Strobes and so on...

greetinx from Germany

Archived