Music Lighting

Andy!

Has anyone ever put some type of light inside the bass drum of a drums kit? or somthing like this effect. If so how well did it work? Also has anyone ever done any other diffrent places for Band lighting.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm guessing putting a light into a bass drum itsself wouldn't be a good idea - the filament would probably not enjoy being vibrated back and forth. You might be able to position some lights behind so it appears like the light is coming from within the drum, but be careful of what the drummer wants - they move their feet around quite a lot and you could end up with some squashed birdies.

What about some floorcans - say 2 in front of the kit and 2 to the side/behind?

Another thing that looks funky is a 500w flood (or similar) behind the drummer, and cut to just that in a drum solo - it produces a wicked look :P

Stu

Edit: Beaten by Gareth! :P

Edit by Gareth: Too slow, chicken Marengo!! :P :P

Edit: I'll get you next time Gareth, hahahaha :P :P :P (Think of a TV series)

Yeah I saw that at a tribute to queen(mercury) I went to see. I liked it put just want something diffrent. they also had 8 source 4 PARS behind the drumer angled to the celing it was a very good effect.

For our last rock concert at school I had 4 p64 stubbi's 1 at either corner of the stand that the kit was on. With white front pointing at his head/cymbols and yellow back just below his head, but I assume you could put in a colour changer. Mind you the drummer was not happy about the burn he got off a 1k par!! :P

reflecting a lamp off of the front skin from a shallow angle can make it seem like the light is coming from the inside.

a better effect is to point a lamp on the smash cymbals, when they are moved, the crash beam moves up the crowd.

Mind you the drummer was not happy about the burn he got off a 1k par!! :P

No wonder! This is where a Par 56 or similar could come in handy, if your pointing it straight (that reminds me off a joke :P) at a drummer! :P

Stu

Guest lightnix

Or how about.....

LEDs

Now... how did you know I was going to say that :P :P :P

How it will look will depend largely on the translucency of the skin, but I'm sure an interesting effect could be achieved.

try a u.v, one of the little ones. from a party shop or something. Or even better a strobe inside the bass, that would look good!!!! :P

im pretty sure you can also get a fingertip "gerb" that you can use for the guitarist, which on cue looks amazing.

(should only be attempted on a big stage tho!) :P maybe someone knows more??

Yeh I like the idea of a strobe in the bass hmm.

Another thing that makes the drum lights better as you all will know is smoke which we placed under the stand. If we didn't like the band/song/drummer just smoke them out :P

Archived