Small hall setup

computer

Hi,

I was at a local hall the other week with 4 pars, and a 4 channel pulsar dimmer and controller setup for a reunion party, and the guy who owns the place was asking me about getting a proper setup installed.

He basically wants some simple lights that can be easily used by the halls occupants, but also can be expanded and used when for instance, there is a primary school play, and I bring in some more lights, or there are practicals needed for a local drama group's show or something.

He has a budget of tops £1000, which is sorta in the middle there. I was thinking of the following:

4 lights on either side of stage at the front, just above the first row of audience sort of thing, so thats 8. with a spare 2 sockets either side of the stage at floor level for practicals, footlights, etc.

DP2786366: Par 64, long, black x8 for either side of stage

DP2786866:

Par 64 Floor cans, black, x2 for footlights leaving 2 channels spare for practicals, or if I bring 2 fllor cans or something

DP2750366: 4 channel DMX dimmer pack, x3 to give a total of 12 channels. these would be mounted backstage, and I'd run IEC plugs back to the 'dimmer area' to allow for patching etc.*

So, thats as far as I've got. I need to know what kind of way should I support the lights? there are crossbeams running across the hall from left to right with a upside down T shape at the bottom you could clamp into but I'm not sure on that. I'll also need to know what bulbs are the best type to buy, and where from. But the main thing I need your help on is a desk. We need something with minumum 12 channels, with DMX. either with 2 presets, or with some sort of memory desk function, and it needs to be less than about £400 which isn't much for a console like this. Any ideas?

any tips, changes or suggestions on this setup would be greatly appriciated!!!!

computer

* seeing these only use 16A tops each, is it possible to get a sparky (my mate who'd help me install this) to just put 3 16A MCBs into the existing, newly refurbed breaker box? There wouldn't be much point for a ceeform socket here. Or, could they all be put onto one 48A MCB if there is one, or something. ie, what do you suggest to power them from, and they'll be situated next to the incoming breaker box which has 4 spare holes in it after installation.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pars sound ok. I would allow enough money to leave spare lamp stock around in the venue because it is unlikely they will know where to get them from.

All depending on the size of the room I might look at installing 500w pars instead of 1kw which will help with power and also heat. Worked on a few gigs with a full par rig that looked good but heated up the room too much.

Might be worth considering programming or leaving instructions for a pre heat before using the rig or setting the top level to 80% which will increase the life of the lights by about three to four times.

As for the desk I would suggest going for a slightly older Zero88 desk maybe a XL12. Memory function, chase memory and also very easy to use. The only down side to this is you would have to source one second hand.

okay, well any links to bulbs for par 64's... do you get 500w bulbs for par 64 or only par 56?

and yes, I will be leaving spare bulbs, but I live round the corner so I can always give them some more when they need it.

lamp preheat would be good. I don't know if the dimmers will allow for that, but if not, we can set the desk to start with a small level to warm up the lamps a bit...

it may be worth ringing up the projects divisions of some of the major LX companies - they are very helpful and will make sure you get exactly what is needed/appropriate. the downside is that you probably won't get as much for your money.

as for how to support the lanterns - I'd recommend 2/3 T-bars (with a dimmer on each). The doughty ones are very good... This has the advantage of being able to move the setup to wherever in the hall it is needed. Then you just need a 16A extension.

not sure about the multidim, but a lot of dimmer packs you can set to 13A inlet, and they will just dim down to 13A if you try and put more through them.

as for heat... had you thought about getting s4 type pars? the copies are not too expensive. then you have the added bonus of just having to buy one type of lamp, and changing the beamspread with lenses (rather than spending £25 on a par64 sealed beam lamp and having to put up with that beam spread, or spending another £25 to get a narrower/wider version). The obvious advantage is that they are a lot more efficient, and so don't produce as much heat. you'd get the light output of a 1kW parcan, at the power consumption of 575W. you could also run them off the existing ring main(s) more easily.

you mean use mobile t-bars? I don't think that would work too good as various people using the hall would try to move them out the way and break them... I just thought though, you could mount them one on top of another on a vertical bar on either side of the wall.

you think I should just put a dimmer near each set and run DMX and a 16a to them each? I suppose thats easier. it'd be easier to make a new 32a ring with 3x 13amp sockets one in each position than using the large ceeform connectors. just to gain an extra 3 amps.

I mean, you'd need a max of about 8.5 amps for 4x 500w parcans right? so there would be a total of ~25 amps so a 32amp ring would suffice.

computer

My old school just bought a Sirius 48 for £250 from AC Lighting, its only analogue but you could add a DMX card, hope this gives you an idea of what you can get second hand if you shop around, oh btw anyone know what an 'IPL Fault 4.1' (weve also had 3.2) is on a sirius? I know its somtheing to do with the inter processor link failing, just dont know exactly what,

I've had IPL faults on Sirius due to OJ Spillage and Larger Spillage.

Sometimes reseating the ribbon cable helps.

Probably of very little help but I thought you might like to know.

Keeping the dimmers close to the lights is going to save you a lot on cable.

Par cans can be quite noisy when dimmed for some quiet presentations.

Dunno, how are S4 Par clones like for noise?

The dimmers your looking at have some built in chase facility, mebbe useful to allow less technical users to just switch on lights and they run from pre canned chase.

If you don`t need this facility CPC have Soundlab dimmers at £55 odd without it and only a single IEC.

Behringer LC2412 may be useable as a desk, Thomann are listing it at £140

yeah those £55 dimmers were looking quite good - I might get them instead and save some ££££.

when you mean noisy - you mean filament sing or something?

I saw somewhere you can get a 3 channel DMX dimmer that fits in a standard light box... then I could hook that up to the packs, and can be used to simply control some of the lights with basic operation, then if I bring a desk down or they use the 'pro' desk, only technician or taught people can use it to stop actors/kids frying/breaking something...

hmm.. not too keen on those soundlan dimmers - they work, but you get what you pay for. the dimming itself is almost like switching! you only get any noticebale varying in intensity on parcans from 45-55%. also to my knowledge, you cannot hang them.

only used the multidims with flexi desk lamps, so cant really say much about them. they seem alright tho. the only problem is they come with schuko (french) connectors, but you can just get a few continental adapters and its all good.

I suppose you could get an IWB installed on the roof and have it hardwired into some rack mount dimmers or something 'backstage', but that wouldnt be as flexible. much easier to use though.

Archived