Small hall setup

computer

We have a DMX system that starts with a female socket in the first place you would want the desk. This then runs to a male socket in the second place you would want the desk. This has a female plug in it, which runs to a male socket in the next place you want DMX, this has a female plug in which runs to the next socket etc, and it eventually gets to the dimmers. If you want DMX, you remove the plug from the socket, and insert your fixture in between ie Male socket > to DMX in in fixture > DMX out on fixture to female plug next to socket. Or if its just the desk DMX out > female plug.

This works well for small numbers of fixtures and saves money on DMX distribution, but you have to make sure you don't put fixtures on the line before the desk. It is a good idea to plan where you want the desk and have these sockets at the start of the chain.

Not sure I've explained that very well, maybe someone else using this system could make it clearer.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understand that, I was thinking

desk plug -> desk plug -> desk plug -> DMX plug on stage (desk or lighting) -> dimmer 1 -> dimmer 2 -> dimmer 3.

of course you need to be careful in a small hall, as they might be 'removed' or 'stolen' by members of the public, curious people or the people who think they know everything about electrics...

My old school just bought a Sirius 48 for £250 from AC Lighting, its only analogue but you could add a DMX card, hope this gives you an idea of what you can get second hand if you shop around, oh btw anyone know what an 'IPL Fault 4.1' (weve also had 3.2) is on a sirius? I know its somtheing to do with the inter processor link failing, just dont know exactly what,

I suggest that you contact Keith Rogers at Zero 88, the Sirius 24/48 was just a bit before my time :D

or just keep a stock of DMX cable and run it to where you need it, I cant see there being many more than two places where you would want to control from,

agreed on that...

It may be worth running a permanent DMX line from the back of the hall somewhere to the stage as this could be a bit untidy if its only temporary, and can end up getting pulled down/tripped over etc etc if it runs in the way.

EDIT: speel clunked

okay well thats sorted now... I'll have the DMX connectors 'backstage', then with a permanent line from the back to backstage DMX plug area and also one from the front of the hall so I can switch them over...

now, back to lights, stands, desks, etc.

I don't know - how about a 2nd hand strand? :D

no, TBH, I don't think we need anything too complex, as I bring my desk down (zero 88 board) when needed so they need it for basic operation, drama groups, presentations, possibly parties, etc.

so, what was that about parcans again. I haven't really noticed filament sing with standard ones from CPC before.

and anyone have the links to those wall switch box dimmers?

or just keep a stock of DMX cable and run it to where you need it, I cant see there being many more than two places where you would want to control from,

agreed on that...

It may be worth running a permanent DMX line from the back of the hall somewhere to the stage as this could be a bit untidy if its only temporary, and can end up getting pulled down/tripped over etc etc if it runs in the way.

EDIT: speel clunked

true, thats a good idea, but I dont see the point in having several DMX points in 'a small hall'

well its not that a small hall.I just mean its not a giant theatre either. its a standard community local hall size. but at the moment, I have a dimmer pack on the floor at the front, with 4 or 8 parcans on stands (tbars) and my 4 channel dimmer or take more equipment and zero 88 desk, etc.

we use the front of the hall for the technician area mainly, but the back option would be good, and we sometimes use that if we can to get out of the way...

at my school (which sounds a bit like the hall you mentioned), we have a permanent DMX line to the front (23m ish) which runs into a prompt side rack with the dimmers. there is a 'DMX to dimmers' socket, and a 'DMX from FOH' plug mounted above it. then we just have a small (0.3m) DMX cable to plug into both. then if we want to op from backstage, we just unplug it and plug the DMX cable straight into the 'DMX to dimmers' socket.

ON AC Lighting there is a Level 18 Plus 18 channel console as new for £235.00. This would allow you some more channels to play arround with should you bring in more lanterns or get 2 sacnners in or something. They are not bad desks with 2 preset opperation and timed crossfades. The 2 preset opp also works when desk is in wide mode 'cause it stors the current ouput to allow you to seet up the next.

Sam

Edit; Here is a close up of the board; http://www.zero88.com/files/level_12_plus_closeup.jpg

If you want more info on the product go to Zero 88

Archived