testing hearing aid loop

simploerob

I have used a couple of different thing for testing loops, a pack that you plug head phones in to and one that you hold to your ear.

what do people use? and what is the cheapest option? need to get one for work to test a new loop system in a meeting room so doesn't need to be anything fancy.

also where is the best place to get them from?

Simon

If possible its always good to get a hearing aid user to test the setup too.

This often highlights issues with poor mic placement or a poor mix (if fed from an aux), as people with impaired hearing don't just lose sensitivity, but often bandwidth and the ability to distinguish one sound from another.

Ampetronic amongst others produce loop listening devices. I guess you've had one installed because of DDA "compliance"? Well a listening device will certainly help, but if you do get someone asking to use it, do take note of their response.

However, in my opinion, the money spent on loops in most shops and transitory premises would have been better spent on training staff in deaf awareness.

We've bought one of these:

http://www.deafequipment.co.uk/store/viewP...t.do?id=1121606

Connevans AFILS Loop receiver - not only does it give a headphone output for monitoring, but it also gives a calibrated field strength meter too. We used this and tweaked the loop to get it to the "recommended" field strength that is more evenly distributed, and our loop users are MUCH happier!

Definitely a box worth keeping in the PA drawer so when people complain I can actually go to their seat and find out what's going on.

£0.02 in the pot...

... but it also gives a calibrated field strength meter too. We used this and tweaked the loop to get it to the "recommended" field strength that is more evenly distributed, and our loop users are MUCH happier!

I second this approach. I use the "AVX AHHM/H Field + Loop listen tester" here (sorry, couldn't link directly) only £95 inc VAT.

thanks for the help

it is in a meeting room at a confernce centre. all I needed is to check the level and see if it acualy works.

I can borrow the one from church but I'm hoping to leave soon and people have a habbit of playing with settings so they could do with there own to test inbetween groups.

simon

any idea where I could find the cpc make ? drawing a blank on google!!!

any idea where I could find the cpc make ? drawing a blank on google!!!

Simon,

Try here.

Cedd

CPC do a far cheaper version at something around the 30 quid mark.

I haven't trawled the site extensively, but they appear to sell the AVX one - which is broadly similar to the Ampetronic and Current Thinking unit, and about the same price - roughly £55 + VAT.

HTH,

Simon Lewis

I would really recommend getting in touch with a local "deaf group" - sorry not sure of the right terminology here, I don't want to cause anyone offence. Go through the RNID to find a group if you don't know of one.

Maybe this isn't necessary in this situation (i.e. meeting room) but anyone reading this post and needing to test a loop in a theatre or other such venue-type place .... a tester can only show you so much - the human listener is extremely valuable. And it helps community relations, you never know that group might start coming to your venue when they know you have made an effort to assist in their hearing difficulties - and that always pleases the money-people when more people buy tickets!

And don't forget that in some situations you may need to test to a standard which in this case might be "IEC 60118-4:1981 Hearing aids. Part 4: Magnetic field strength in audio-frequency induction loops for hearing aid purposes."

And don't forget that in some situations you may need to test to a standard which in this case might be "IEC 60118-4:1981 Hearing aids. Part 4: Magnetic field strength in audio-frequency induction loops for hearing aid purposes."

The purists would state that a) you should always be testing to a standard and b) be following the new IEC 60118-4: 2007 standard.

Usefully, the key differences between the 1981 standard and the 2007 version are set out in this document from Ampetronic.

Designers and installers have to meet a higher field strength, and should demonstrate correct frequency response characteristics. This latter requirement was in the earlier version, but the increase in use of loops in buildings with structural steel has made this test all the more important.

The listening test is a key issue, since using just a meter has meant some installations being passed as "OK" when in reality there's just 100mA / m of rabid mains hum in the room topped up with a small amount of unintelligible speech ;-)

The Institute of Sound and Communication Engineers have just finished their second set of training days on the new measurement requirements, but keep an eye on their website for any further ones. Also, Ampetronic provide excellent training which is not entirely brand specific.

HTH,

Simon

Archived