what mixing desk?

Dj Dunc

Hi guys and girls.

:P

Ive searched the forums but cant find anything useful.

:unsure:

I'm 14 and I need to buy a decent mixer that can be used for recording in school as well as at home and live concerts/productions. I have a budget of £400 and I really want to get as much for my money if possible. I quite like the range of 12+ channels with fx or a cheap digital recording mixer :P (not cassette) Also, if the mixer you suggest is cheap, could you advise me on an amplifier and speakers as well? Im not bothered about 2ND hand items as long as they work well and aren't broken ** laughs out loud **.

PLEASE HELP!! ;)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

I would be looking along the lines of something like a Yamaha MG Series...Something like that one. Built in FX, maybe not the most comprehensive selection, but enough to get you started. A nice price to be fair (look around, you CAN find it cheaper).

Others will suggest different desks, but maybe a good starting point!

HTH,

Ben.

If you look around you might find a second hand Allen & Heath Mix Wizzard for £400. They're good solid desks with plenty of features, and they have direct outs on each channel which are useful when recording, however if you dont have enough inputs to your multitrack, you can use the six auxiliary sends to creatle a mix.

Keep an eye out on ebay, and look through the secondhand gear links in the sound FAQ.

When you say "live concerts/productions" do you mean recording them, or using the board to mix live for sound reinforcement purposes? This makes a bit a of difference to what I'd recommend.

For recording I think you'll likely end up using some for of PC-based DAW. This will almost certainly have a wide range of EQ and effects built in, so it becomes less important to have these on the mixer since the best way to work is to record dry and add everything else as you mix. You'd want to go for nice sounding mic pre-amps and convenient direct outs.

On the other hand, if you want to mix live, you need to make sure you have good sounding, easy to use EQ...and effects would be nice too.

On balance, I'd probably suggest you look at something like a second hand A&H Mix Wizard or perhaps a Soundcraft Spirit FX...but your requirements will determine what exactly is best for you.

I don't think you should even think of trying to get an amp and speakers within the same budget...realistically you don't have the budget for anything worth owning.

Bob

If you just want to record why not look at a multitrack digital recorder like the Zoom MRS1608 . It's a 16 track recorder (Hard disk) .You can record 8 tracks simultaneously it has eq and fx built in, not unlike a digital desk as well as a drum m/c and a cd burner it can even generate bass lines for you . In essence it's a complete studio in one box and you should be able to find one within your budget . However it is not a mixing desk for live use .

As you mentioned the word 'recording' I would quickly suggest looking at the Mackie Onyx range with their quiet pre-amps and Firewire output option. However, they are out of your price bracket. Never mind....

Mac Calder mentions the Folio SX desk. Great value for money but I wouldn't use it for recording as the noise floor is pretty noticeable.

I would go with the suggestion for the Yamaha MG range. Very good value, well made and nice and quiet - ideal for budget recording work.

Steve

nice one. keep the ideas coming people. I mean when I say concerts/productions, the many theatre productions in school that we do, also we often have all the local school bands in for a concert n I would need the mixer for that. the recording aspect is for home use and recording bands @ school

Also, does anybody recommend behringer? I quite like them but I also have just seen the new XENYX series. Could someone reccomend (or not them) etc.

Ta

Dunc

Also, does anybody recommend behringer?

No. I find the mixers very cold and hard sounding. In my experience the newer silver desks seem to be pretty robust, but the older blue ones have been nothing but trouble for me (faders have died at gigs and crossshouting not crosstalk)

I'm sure I'll get shot down for that.

I'm sure I'll get shot down for that.

I have no problem with objective comments based on real experience. It's the blanket statements that are annoying!

If anyone is interested, our favourite low cost audio mnufacturer appears to be having a little run in with the American FCC.... here

its for me to own. school has already got two, just only for the drama department, and sometimes the key for the stockrooms isnt avialable, and also im not allowed to use it for anything other than productions and official school business. and im on about the silver behringers and the Behringer XENYX 2222FX in particular

Behringers represent good value for money at the price point...but are a cheap mixer. The sound won't be as good as the A&H or Soundcraft...but it will do the job. Given a choice of Mackie or Behringer, I'd go with the Behringer. Both are so-so sonically...but the Behringer is cheaper. However, if you can avoid them, I wouldn't go for either.

The above comments apply to the existing range of Behringer stuff, not the Xenyx which I've not had a chance to try.

The Behringer/FCC thing seems more to do with paperwork than quality...the same gear has the equivalent EC approvals which are more stringent than the American ones.

Bob

The Behringer/FCC thing seems more to do with paperwork than quality...the same gear has the equivalent EC approvals which are more stringent than the American ones.

True, but when have the Americans ever accepted our standards over Underwriters Labs certification ;-)

The Behringer antagonists were hoping for large fines. I'm sure it will fizzle out somewhere along the line!

Archived