what mixing desk?

Dj Dunc

cant find the right smilie but

OFF TOPIC PEOPLE

Not really.

It was YOU who specifically asked about Behringer as an option and, had the proposed FCC fine been genuinely about EMC performance rather than just a paperwork issue, this would have had a huge bearing on whether or not the equipment could be recommended.

Bob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting, I'm 14 and have used or owned most of the desks suggested! My fist desk was a soundcraft f1, then a soundcraft e12(lovely desk), I have used the yamaha mg16/6fx desk loads and have considers getting one a few times, and of course the legendary A+H mix wizard I almost bought one brand new, I loved it that much, but I realised that I would not use it enough to justify the price! Ideally I would go for a A+H second hand if possible otherwise a soundcraft e12 new, they are a better quality to thew Yamaha's, but they don't have as many features. It all depends what your using it for and how often your using it.

Rich

yeah suppose bobbsy. my mistake. anyway I think the soundcraft e12 is a little basic features wise. also I'd prefer the mixer to have a four bus system, just for routing options. I will have a look at some A&H mixers but I prefer to try and stick to new as possible really, cos even though you can get A&H mixers secondhand, the larger ones tend to be rare and/or pricey. correct me if im wrong but anyway a&h have a good sound.

When I was in school, we bought a second hand GL2200-12 for £499. It was a reasonably good price. I'd not worry about second hand decent kit, As far as I know that GL2200 is still going strong, and they liked it so much they bought a 24 channel one. More recently I've been using a mixwizard for small gigs, its a great desk, 2 years old now, and its still fine, occasionally its had to be opened up to push some ribbon cables back it. Look round for whats going second hand, both on ebay and other sites.

I'd not be bothered about groups on a 12 channel desk tbh. If I was doing a gig on a 12 channel GL2200 I'd flip the groups and auxes to have auxes on faders with inserts.

Yammy MG series vs Soundcraft E12. Lets just say I've seen some Arcs fall on an MG 14/2, and one new gain pot and a bit of hammering later and its working pretty well. Both are probably fine desks, just beaten by Mixwizards.

Jeremy

The GL2200-12 is another A&H board. It's the smallest size of a model that is available up into much bigger sizes. Check out the A&H site for the full range, including older boards.

Your choice is up to you, but my theory is you're always better spending your money on quality rather than flash and glitz.

Edit: After posting here, I did some other forum reading. I suggest you have a look at this thread ( http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?show...30entry103827 ) especially post #32 which is relevant to your choice.

Bob

true, but from what I can see, the allen and heath ones are way out of my price range, because I need to have around 12-16+ channels at very least with onboard effect if possible, and many of the A&H ones dont. I quite like soundcraft but im still looking for a review / rating on the behringer XENYX which im quite interested. Is it true that the Behringer pots are welded straight onto the pcb?

true, but from what I can see, the allen and heath ones are way out of my price range, because I need to have around 12-16+ channels at very least with onboard effect if possible, and many of the A&H ones dont. I quite like soundcraft but im still looking for a review / rating on the behringer XENYX which im quite interested. Is it true that the Behringer pots are welded straight onto the pcb?

Not welded, but yes, soldered directly to one big board. However, this construction is not unusual in most entry level economy boards. The pots are always soldered onto something, but as the build quality gets better, you're more likely to get a board build in a modular manner so you can swap individual channels or blocks of channels.

jpitkin's advice to consider an original O1V might be a reasonable idea. They have 12 mic inputs plus two stereos as standard...but can be expanded to double that with the addition of various plug in cards and external mic pre amps. You can also rent a second board and link it into the first. All the "outboard" you could want is already there...and with Yamaha quality. Not the newest technology...and make sure the motorised faders are in good shape, but you'd be getting a truly pro bit of kit. I just had a look on ebay and £400 is indeed the going price for one in good condition.

Bob

Huh? There's lots of them there. I just searched on "Yamaha 01V" and came up with a number of them

One example is at: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-01V-DIGITAL-M...1QQcmdZViewItem

But do your own search to find all of them.

FYI, the 01V96 is the newer version of the board...and a lot more money. I mention this because you'll see some of these too.

Bob

I'm 14 and I need to buy a decent mixer that can be used for recording in school as well as at home and live concerts/productions. I have a budget of £400 and I really want to get as much for my money if possible.

You want something thats flexible, usable for recording, and lots for your money. The 01V fits that in every single way, I've sent you a PM with a link to a site where I've seen them for £350ish. Thats £350 well spent imho, you dont need to buy outboard. It'd be a far better buy than an analogue behringer desk, or indeed most/all of the cheap desks. As long as you are careful buying second hand sound kit is fine, lots of our hire stock is second hand, sound and lighting kit!

yeah. found them now but they are still out of my price range. maybe something in the £300's range is more ok with the parents :D even then they will still moan a bit :rolleyes:

Well, mention of a budget of £400 came from your original post! Anyhow, from your description of your needs, the 01V is a good match...just bid what you can and you either get it or you don't.

(BTW, just for reference, I used to run a video post facility that had about 10 of the original 01V mixers in all our edit suites...they were rock solid, 12-16 hours a day, 7 days a week. As I say, a professional tool, in a different league to the entry level amateur stuff. I'm semi retired now but the mixers I still own for the work I do are both Yamaha digital ones, albeit a bit bigger than your spec. Feel free to show your parents my comments! ;) )

Bob

ive had a look on there. should be quite good. but does anyone else reccomend that. id prefer to have more channels and faders compared to more digital capability. although the yamaha o1v is very good from what I hear/read. what about the digital behringer or is that a bad sounding mixer as well as the analouge

Archived