Small Monitors

SceneMaster

Hi,

I am aware there is a small monitor thread currently going strong however this is a slightly different situation. Basically I am looking for a way to get temporary monitoring into a very small church space for the band and an idea that has just struck me is that I could use JBL Control 1 monitors mounted on mic stands with heavy bases. Would this work and would they make effective monitors (this is a very small area)?

Secondly what amp would people recommend for the speakers?

Thanks,

Hmm, yes this can be done and they're great little speakers (I used to have a pair, but replaced them with Genelec 8030s).

Anyway, the Samson Servo 170 amplifier is pretty well matched to the speakers and I'm sure there'll be an alesis equivalent.

I think you can get the special fixings to be able to mount them correctly onto a mic stand, I only ever did it once, but somehow did it without the correct mounting brackety things.

I'll see if I can find a link for the mountings...

Edit... well here's a photo courteousy of Sound on Sound can't quite see how they've done it.

Edit 2... well I can't find the mic stand mounts, though I'm sure it can be done, but maybe the Wall Mount Kit can be adapted?

Hi,

I have seen the JBL Control 1's used on mics stands before, they always have seemed to the job well for church events where high SPL's are not required.

@ SceneMaster, I have a Samson Servo 170 if you are interested in buying it off of me, or yhire if you want, PM me if your interested. It has had very little use on home hi-fi speakers and im not lookin for too much for it.

Mark

Control 1's over Hot-Spots every time!

We have some hot-spots back at the ranch and our muso's find them almost inaudible in all but the most "acoustic" services/performances. So much so that they tell me they'd rather work without them than try and work with them.

C

I use Celestion SR-Compact speakers for this job, they're small, loud, balance ok on a mic stand using the official angle brackets, and sound good. I often have them on the vertical top of an angle stand, as long as I trust the talent not to touch the mic, so great for backup and that kind of thing. They also visually match the rest of my rig...

The Control-1s probably sound better, but I dont think I'd risk them, they always feel too "hifi" and thus susceptable to popping to me :mods:

http://professional.celestion.com/sr/products/product_images/sr_compact.jpg

I also use these on the deck, or popped into a corner somewhere, FOH for speeches in village halls, they're pretty much my universal problem solving speaker.

"Proper" Control 1s would be fine, but beware the 1X version. I don't know how they have been cut-down, but if Richer Sounds can sell them at 1/2 the price, something must be different in them. I believe that the original had a 3/8" hole in the base, but I'm not in a position to check at the mo'.

According to the advert, these units are 100W RMS. I think the control1-X (or -xtreme ?) is up to 80W. Which suggests that they might be the "real thing". Or maybe not.

Pity about the closing date (see the bottom of the advert) .... I'm tempted, but can't be bothered travelling into the city today....

Control 1's are pretty versatile, I have used a fair number, at around £80 pair from Thomman and Digital Village. A standard gooseneck flange screwed to the bottom of the speaker, with a 3/8 thread tapped internally, makes a solid mic stand mount. I use this method for a very lightweight effects rehearsal speaker, with a 30 Watt amp.

Brian

And the only way that your going to get a Samson servo 170 is by buying it second hand, as it is now discontinued. There replacement models is either the servo 120a, which is 25w less per channel than the servo 170, only 60w at 4ohms. Or probably a better bet for you would be the servo 200, at 100w per side at 4ohms. I have a servo 300, and would recommend it any day, I use it for powering my smallest stage wedges.

HTH

Rich

ps - the richer "40 quid" offer ends today..

... or perhaps not. On saturday, when I made the original post, it said

Prices valid in store (all including VAT) until the close of business on the date below:

Saturday 18-02-2006

But yesterday it said "Sunday", and today it says "Monday" - even though the special offer is no longer linked from their front page. Looks like the offer might be "until there's none left".

I might drop into Richers on the way to the station tonight - it's not too far out of the way....

EDIT: Just phoned them. Selling like the proverbial hot cakes... Allegedly the "real" control-1 rather than the 1X. My local store has none in stock at the moment, but are expecting a dozen pairs later this week.

Can anyone recommend a new rackmount amp, ~80W/side at 8Ohms, that would be suitable for use with a pair of Control 1's?

Semi-related, can anyone tell me what happened to Bose 101's, I know they were common for outdoor installs requiring small speakers (theme parks etc) for a few years; do they still make them?

Archived