Smallest/ Cheapest Theatrical Console

sam.henderson

Hi All,

Bit of a funny question I know but what is the smallest, cheapest/ most basic theatrical (good cue stack) console with syntax around. So obviously we're talking more than 48 channels and the ability to go [1][THRU][10][@][FULL] etc.??

There's plenty of nice desks that do 2 preset 48 channel fader control but I can't find anything between that and the 300/500 series.

Any ideas or is the 300 series the next up??

Cheers,

Sam

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having done some more research this afternoon I've found some more contenders:

Compulite DLite, works on syntax opperation, got theatrical playback but the only problems I think is that the touchscreen is a bit of 'token technology' that I'd be wary of lasting and the basic version isn't much cheaper than the 300.

Zero88 Illusion 120 - No moving light controll but syntax and basic stack - not manufactured anymore but can be picked up very cheap second hand (£300!!)

Zero88 Illusion 500 - Moving Light Controll, Sytnax, Cue stack, simple to use (hits the nail in the head) and is cheaper than the 300 however still not cheap cheap (i.e. under £1.5k)

Any more ideas??? I think there's deffinetly a gap in the market here.

Sam

IIRC, the Frog series definitely does not have command line.

Any more ideas??? I think there's deffinetly a gap in the market here.

I think you're right, there's definitely a gap in the market for this kind of desk. Strand really should make something to fill this gap, and I think it's a real shame that they're not.

But let's not get into that again ;)

Having used the Strand 200 It doesn't exactly have command line syntax.

You cannot create a new scene using the eyntax but you can edit existing scenes with syntax.

So if you start off the show with loads of scenes already programmed but blank you can "create" scenes using the command line syntax. 1 THRU 12 @ 50 etc...

You can then link scenes together to create a form of theatre stack - however there isn't a go button, you have to use the crossfaders to navigate the "stack"

James

So if you start off the show with loads of scenes already programmed but blank you can "create" scenes using the command line syntax. 1 THRU 12 @ 50 etc...

Worth pointing out that this only works if you have the VGA option :unsure:

Quote me stupid, how about a 2nd hand GSX? Geniuspro etc?

Besides, tried the etc smartfade range, besides having no command line, they are not the simplest things in the world, the cue stack system is frankly rubbish, you cant insert point cues, that I'm aware of. And the fader pages are very non-user friendly, nice and confusing.. Good for a school with lots of time, but not anything more.

Archived