Rainproofing Lights

jexjexjex

Evening Troops,

Looking for some advice on keeping the "weather" off some lights on a T-Bar.

Local group are doing a wee show in my back garden this coming June and as part of that, I'd like to have a pair of wind-ups each kitted out with a couple of fresnels and an IP rated LED fixture.

Obviously, everything will be RCD'd off and if it hoses down on the day, then no lights are getting fired up regardless, but is there a proprietary bit of kit available as a means of keeping drizzle or light rain off things?

I've seen things that look like bits of curved Perspex fixed on to the top of bars before, being used almost like an umbrella, but I've no idea what they're called.

All ideas gratefully accepted.

I did this once with corrugated roofing sheets, curved 2 bits of steel bar [I used a 50 gallon oil drum as a former] about 30x3x900mm, drilled 10mm hole in the middle and bolted onto hook clamps. 8ft sheet over a 6ft long bar.

It did rain big time and no-one thought to turn the lights off when everyone went indoors.

Can you not get away with using just the IP rated LED fixture? Save you a lot of headache!

If you do end up using the fresnels, on/warm will keep them fairly dry in a light rain.

Don’t forget to take wind loading into account if you attach umbrellas/roof structures to your stands, most stands are rated for zero sideways load.

Is there any way that you could arrange things so that the lights can shine through windows? It might mean using tighter beams that you would otherwise do but eliminates the weatherproofing issues.

Not such a helpful idea if you live in a bungalow, or course...

Most fresnels will work OK in rain, as long as they are not pointing upwards... as suggested above just leave them on a preheat level which will evaporate any water from inside.

The only problem would be water dripping onto the hot lamp, if they have a lot of vents on top a cover of blackwrap will stop rain running in. They will also start to rust if you have to leave them outside for long periods but it sounds like they won't be outside for long. The outdoor Minack Theatre never seems to protect its fixtures... and that's by the sea

I've seen PAR cans, fressies and profiles all working in the rain with water running off the colour frames but the back of the lantern is bone dry (unsurprisingly) - as long as the water doesn't directly drop onto hot glass it just keeps going due to the inherent heat.

http://www.jthomaseng.com/pdffiles/P64%20Outdoor%20Lantern-01.pdf

These work well. I have some but it's a long way to Jockland and you did thrash us at Murrayfield!!

Apart from the fact they weigh approximately 3 tons each which might be a bit much for T bars...

(possibly a slight exaggeration but I still remember having to get 200 onto the roof of St Pauls Cathedral about 20 years ago)

http://www.jthomaseng.com/pdffiles/P64%20Outdoor%20Lantern-01.pdf

These work well. I have some but it's a long way to Jockland and you did thrash us at Murrayfield!!

Apart from the fact they weigh approximately 3 tons each which might be a bit much for T bars...

(possibly a slight exaggeration but I still remember having to get 200 onto the roof of St Pauls Cathedral about 20 years ago)

Makes you wonder how it's even possible to make a PAR can weigh over 15Kg! Cast iron? Concrete ballast? :blink:

Small black hole. They aren't rain proof at all, they just dispose of the moisture into a space/timd vortex. Naturally, containing such a dense object to cause such an anomally weighs more than a bit of bent metal!

Makes you wonder how it's even possible to make a PAR can weigh over 15Kg! Cast iron? Concrete ballast? :blink:

Imperial units. At least I hope so otherwise the situation is even worse as that would make it around the size of a P16.

Inches and pounds!!

Imperial units. At least I hope so otherwise the situation is even worse as that would make it around the size of a P16.

Inches and pounds!!

Hmmm - And so the conversation got a bit silly...

In any case thanks all for the info.

A friend has suggested a couple of old plastic bins, cut in half along their length. Butt two upagainst each other and there should be enough length to cover the whole of each bar.

Also, thanks for the reminder about ballast - I've some burst digger mesh that I can drive in around the legs, which will hook over the stand feet. A wee sandbag or two won't go amiss either.

Archived