Selecon Pacific, Lamp holders.

AndrewR

My current venue has a large number of selecon Pacific's (both fixed and zoom)

They are currently fitted with 600w GKV lamps, which are reasonably bright. However, the throw is quite far, and the stage is 16m across, which we are crossing in 12 lanterns. This is fine, but colour washes from the scrollers on the 12 FOH lanterns are a little feeble.

My question is (finally getting to the point) is it feasible to put a 1kw lamp in my Pacific's? I know Selecon make different lamp housings for the 600 and 1000 w lamps, but what are the actual differences in these housings? Am I just going to melt the base, or worse. Or is it simply a matter of the 1kw lamp being the wrong size and shape?

And any thoughts on how to make my Croma-Q scrollers less noisy? other than turning them off! I'm thinking that replacing the fans with something less......affordable, is my best option, but if anyone knows a trick!

What he said. You can't put a 1K lamp into a base designed for a 600w lamp.

If you need more punch out of your Pacifics, get yourself some of the lamp housings that are designed to accept the 1000w "Blue Pinch" lamps - those things kick ass in a big way - loads of light!

Figured it wasn't possible, and probably a very stupid idea :) But thought I would consult my learn'ed colleagues! will try 800w lamps. No budget for new lamp housings, but budget for lamps, hense the daft idea

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...
Don't fit a 1kw lamp in a base that isn't designed for it. Full stop.

What he said. You can't put a 1K lamp into a base designed for a 600w lamp.

I've been meaning to update this thread for nearly a year now...

Very true gentlemen... BUT!

The PAC lamp bases are all identical apart from the actual lamp socket (and the coloured handle) and will handle up to 575w MSR or 1200w 80v.

You can replace the socket for around £11. The unit will not melt, people will not die. (in a relative sense) (and you might need to replace some of the wiring if your using the 80v)

:rolleyes:

maybe I should go put that in the wiki... ;)

Archived