What lighting do you recommend?

lonfire

any thoughts on whether I should put both dimmers in one rack? or two racks?

one rack would be easier I think, also its not going to be moved around much.. I'm hoping to have two 32amp ceeforms to run the dimmers off.. should I have two 32amp panel mounts? or two 32amp trailing plugs?

All sounds fairly good so far. You say that the rack "won't be moved around much", how often is this? How is access to the dimmer room? Is it up a narrow flight of steep stairs? If so what would be easier to get out- one rack, or a few small ones?

IMO panel mounts are better, if only for the fact that you can press the connectors against the wall and hence the socket to get a good mechanical fit when you are plugging them in, rather than screwing round with two connectors somewhere around waist height.

David

IWB (soca) -> soca cable -> spider (15amp) -> dimmers -> 32amp ceeform

and the hardwired sockets... say I have 6.. have three off one 32amp and three off the other? the rack panels I'm looking at have 6 sockets in a 2u panel.. or should I have two panels with 6 sockets on each 32amp?

I'm not quite sure I understand how this is all going to be wired up. It sounds like you are wanting 2 sets of dimmers (with 32A single inputs) plus 6 or so non-dimmed sockets.

To get that to work you will be wanting a distro (has some type of power input which it then splits into many outputs of different amperage/types using MCBs or RCBOs). I would strongly recommend getting this made professionally rather than making it yourself, which will cost you a few hundred pounds. When specing your distro, I'd suggest having a few local 16A and 13A sockets, as they can come in really handy!

As the distro would only have the one power input, you would probably be better looking at either a single 32A or 63A single phase feed.

Moderation- Redundant quote removed.

chris I have read your post here and in the audio forum and one thing to remember is INSURANCE - whatever you do in the building as far as temp install or permanent you should have liability insurance - if you don't the simple answer is get a professional installation company in.

chris I have read your post here and in the audio forum and one thing to remember is INSURANCE...

indeed.. thats something where I have to get a balance between cost and doing stuff myself.. I can't see a problem with me installing cat5 and audio cables, the risk is minimal.. obviously power and rigging is a different issue and I will be getting a pro company todo this for me (or in some circumstances check and test what I have done)..

rgds

chris

Archived