Your Ideal Workshop

I'm just in the process of rearranging a very cluttered workshop, and I thought it'd be quite nice to do a bit of an upgrade while I'm at it. The workshop at the Traverse isn't huge, but it has potential.

So, I put it to you, what would you have in an ideal workshop? Here's your starter for ten:

I'm contemplating having defined 'zones', for example a metal working area, a carpentry :D area, a wet and dry props area and possibly a central 'health and safety' area containing first aid kits, fire extinguishers etc. What I REALLY want is those cable and airline reels that attach to the ceiling so there aren't extention leads all over the place.

So, if anyone has anything to add, please, be my guest, I'd be very interested.

Phil

A dedicated area for soldering, with decent ventilation, a place to hold the connectors and cable, and good task lighting.

Further to that, a 'service area' where gear can be serviced. But with some sort of shower-caddy arrangement where there is an enclosed floor. So that when you drop that screw... it's not too hard to find!

Just a couple of thoughts before I head off to bed.

David

I should probably add the following:

The workshop probably won't be used for large scale builds - sets are outsourced. It'll only be the odd thing here and there, including maintenance for visiting companies.

Whilst I'm sure the LX dept will be using the workshop, I'm not too keen on stepping on the Chief Electrician's toes. So I'll leave any electrics based decisions to him. But I like your thinking David, I'll pass that on!

Decent dust extraction would be top of my list, although you say you're not going to be doing full builds. My office is off a workshop which has to cater for storage, set construction, painting, props making, combined with electrics maintenance, so dust is currently a major problem, against which I'm fighting a losing battle! I've only just persuaded my boss of the need for a dust extractor, especially when cutting the likes of MDF etc.

The "zones" idea sounds good, alongside having everything labelled and marked.

The most satisfying thing that I've fitted to a workshop is a master switch. A switch by the exit that switches everything off, except emergency and basic, low level lighting. Heating, gas, water etc. could be included if you want. Mine leaves the heating on, but switches over to a frost stat. and I have not yet included gas (CORGI anyone) or water.

on the power side of it, think about running 2 layers around the unit, one is 24hr 'normal' power for items like chargers and computers, and one via a contactor with a switch by the door for all else, so that when leaving all goes off. I know a PA company that has this system in their warehouse and it is great. no worries about electric fires etc being left on. also puts all power tools etc on one set of breakers, ensuring that in case off accidents etc, all stuff goes off so people become quickly aware of injury and such, particularly if loud stuff like bandsaws are in use. alos, there is the potential to interlink e-stops for similar reasons but that is getting a little excessive.

if loud stuff like bandsaws are in use. alos, there is the potential to interlink e-stops for similar reasons but that is getting a little excessive.

Not at all excessive, and it may even be compulsory. I don't know where the requirement kicks in but all the workshops at our school have it, and many professional shops too.

Natural light to work by if possible...

That'd be lovely. Unfortunately, in true Barbican style, everything's underground. Ho hum.

Therefore, what lighting would you recommend? I remember vaguely a topic regarding the flicker of flourescent tubes and rotation of saw blades or something...

• 2 weeks later...

That'd be lovely. Unfortunately...

Therefore, what lighting would you recommend?

I use Osram Lumilux 950 colour tubes, which are pretty darn close to daylight - when used in conjunction with real daylight, it's hard to tell where the artificial light takes over.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm certainly no carpenter, so workshop advice is minimal... however - I used to work at the Traverse, and have spent many a festival there, so I know that the space undeground is valuable and not excessive - beware of installing anything permanent - as, come July/August you'll be needing every inch of space for other peoples sets!

HTH

mike.

Plumbed in dust extracts are great especially if they operate on a load of switches so they are only running while the machine is running / in use. However I have found they are very noisy and clog up at times. Oh and make sure you dont vent striaght into someones office window like ours did are work.... Not a good idea.

Matt

That'd be lovely. Unfortunately, in true Barbican style, everything's underground. Ho hum.

Therefore, what lighting would you recommend? I remember vaguely a topic regarding the flicker of flourescent tubes and rotation of saw blades or something...

Magnetic ballasts on same phase as rotating machines do have possibilty of acting as strobe and making rotating plant appear stationary....

Electronic high frequency ballasts always better, flicker free for a start combined with Chroma 50 AKA C50 tubes, these are daylight high colour temp tubes used in places like printers for colour matching, not expensive and widely available

Archived