Is this fair?

James Mitchell

My local am-dram theatre applied for a license last year to perform Scrooge this November. Everything was going to plan until three weeks later the local "big" theatre announced Shane Richies company would be doing scrooge at the same time.

The two theatres are about 20 minutes drive away from each other.

I was under the impression that Frenches were strict on theatre productions.

Any ideas why they were allowed???

We had a similar problem doing JCS at my old high school. Luckily as the theatre concerned was some distance away from Luton, Milton Keynes, an amicable decision was made.

We were to only allowed to put up posters within the school and any advertising done outside of the school was to make clear that this was an amateur production and had no connection with the professional production at Milton Keynes.

professional productions always have priority - Frenchs and Weinberger run the same system. If you apply to do a show and it is on the current pro circuit, you'll normally get a 'no' when you apply. If you get permission, and you have been good and planned 6 months ahead, then another amateur company within travelling and publicity distance won't normally be give the rights. If a pro show comes along, then I'm afraid you very quickly lose the solus rights to the show. They do put this in the contract. Shows like Shane Richies version sometimes are arranged very quickly, but even if only pencilled in, rights wise, you wouldn't necessarily be told.

This sometimes can have severe financial implications for the amateur company, but I'm afraid this is quite normal. I had posters produced for one amateur show, only to suddenly have the entire project scrapped when a pro company decided they 'might' want to do it - which they never ever did!

Annoying, but quite normal.

I suspect, after doing a little research, that you won't actually find they are the same show - so the rights you have from Frenchs are still intact. Bill Kenrights musical is not as far as I can tell the version Frenchs have the right to. The original Dickens characters are still there, as is the plot - but I think it is a very different product.

Had something similar happen with noises off,pro company going into Milton Keynes the same week as one of the local am drams had a licence for it .I recall it worked in the am drams favour with all the extra publicity etc,seem to recall the director or someone from the touring version turning up and being very impressed

Archived