spherical projection

stebee

hello all

just a quick enquiry and apologies if this has been covered before...

I want to project scrolling text onto a 3m round balloon (which I have) so I was wondering if anyone had done this, seen it done, visited websites detailing it etc

any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I know how to use projectors, switchers etc so I'm not looking for basic info. diagrams etc would be good

pm me if necessary

cheers

Ste

Do you want to project from the inside or outside?

Do you want to project to all sides at the same time as one continuous piece of scrolling text?

What software/hardware do you have at your disposal?

What's your budget?

I invisage 4 or more projectors positioned around the outside, all linked so they are projecting a single long landscape image. The image moves, and the text gets smaller and then larger as it gets to the edge of the first projector and onto the second. Kind of hard to explain, but once I know the budget etc, I'll make up some diagrams

Chris

The easy answer is sectored multi projectors each covering a bit of the surface.

There was long ago (back in the film era!) a lens adaptor that could be swapped from a camera to a projector and was an extreme wide angle neo fisheye so you could take a total environment as a film then by swappimg the lens project it. The scheme is to fire a projector upwards through the lens adaptor and get a 360degree panorama from it. Still I dont know if you can typeset your intended output in fisheye compatible polar co-ordinates.

NMPFT http://www.nmsi.ac.uk/nmpft/ seems a good starting point. Sorry I skipped all my old photo references some years ago.

A rotating gobo projected through a fisheye lens would do the job,

I've done this a few times recently for club nights, easiest way is to use 2 projectors on opposite sides of the balloon, most vision mixers will let you select a mask to superimpose over the image, so stick a vision mixer with a round mask into the video feed before the projectors to cut out the unwanted video that will overshoot the balloon.

if you want the text to scroll right the way round the balloon send me an I.M. and I'll put you in touch with someone who can help

I will be projecting onto the outside of the sphere,

hardware/ software not an issue as if there is a solution I don't have access to I will by the kit as long as cost isn't prohibitive. the image isn't finalised yet so continious scrolling has not been ruled out by.

jivemaster, would that not just give me an image on the bottom half of the "screen"?

pesh, pm on the way

thanks so far,

stebee

Archived