Freelance rates of pay

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone would be able to help with rates of pay for freelance staff.

I have been asked to help co-ordinate a project with freelance technical staff and also help with the budget. I have only worked with in-house staff and casuals as and when needed.

The proposal for the project will need the following:

Lighting designer:

Set designer: to design, build and rig. (I know I'm going to get a response size, style etc.) I'm just after a rough figure.

Stage Manager for a three month period, who will be able to work with young people aswell as professionals (nice mixture).

If anyone could give rough budget figures, with what people would be happy to work for (I'd like to work for 1,000,000 aswell - but we can't)

Thanks for yuor time and help.

Lee

Guest lightnix

:o :g: :(

And there we'll have to leave it folks :(

The general subject of pay (and conditions) has been discussed several times before, as a very quick go on the SEARCH FUNCTION will reveal (starting with "rates").

Edited to say: I've locked this thread, but please feel free to add any thoughts, opinions and experiences of your own to an exisiting thread - they may well be of use to others seeking similar advice in the future :(

B-)

I've been looking at this thread that Lightnix closed, and to avoid any misunderstanding I'd like to point out a few important aspects to this particular topic.

Freelance and permanent rates of pay are of extreme importance to most of us, and the google search of the Blue Room does bring back lots of threads - of many 'vintages'. The information in them in most cases is still valid if the reader visits the web sites belonging to the various organisations and the latest published rates can be found quite easily.

I'm certain that in this case, it wasn't any of the comments that meant it had to be closed, just the repitition of almost identical questions. No new information had been added, and we caught it early. To be honest, I'd have closed it after the original post if I'd seen it in time. Unfortunately, a few posts had popped up already.

Please, don't think anything of a thread like this being closed. It happens quite often, and means very little. After all, old threads get resurrected and added to all the time - this keeps the data all together in one place. The fact google pulls up so many threads is actually proof that more should have been closed. I don't think the mods get pleasure in shutting threads - as it always causes controversy, but it is necessary and being honest, how many times must we ask people to use the search?

So nobody should be very surprised by this one - if it had gone off on an entirely new rates of pay direction, it would have been left alone - but it just moved straight into already covered territory.

Apologies to anyone who posted - but it wasn't what you said, it was where

Paul Johnson

Mod

Archived