Jands Hog 600

paulears

Hi,

I just bought a Jands Hog 600 on eBay. I'm a happy Strand man, I've used an AVO on a couple of occasions (and hated it), but decided to buy this as it did get a mention in a thread a while ago, and I thought the concept of a cue list on each fader with a 'go' button might let me use it in a more 'strand' manner until I get used to it.

What I'm after, is anybody who has a comment on this or similar operational desks. Good or bad. Are there any major things that will trip me up? Things that I must or must not do? I've read the manual and most things appear to make sense, but there's usually some wierdness in most desks that trips you up.

Cheers, all

I really like the Jands Hogs. Not as much as a "real" hog, but still, a very nice piece of kit. Conventionals control is much like a Strand (except for pressing enter and other such trivial things) and the moving control is nicely pallette-based. Not so sure about having to use the mouse to select the pallettes.

Things you must do: programme your pallettes well. Don't try to create each look from scratch - make it out of the pallettes.

Things you mustn't do. Try t remember not to programme intensity into your colour, movement or other things pallettes. Really easy to do by mistake.

Well, I've got it. I've managed to get the hang of the syntax for adding fixtures, salling them up into the show list, then doing very similar things to actually patch them had me foxed.

One snag.

Brysons comment about the mouse. I can't find anywhere to plug one in - there's only a keyboard socket. Is there a keyboard with old 5 pin plug that has a built in mouse/tracker ball?

The other thing is the screen show four rows of grey boxes to match the top half buttons - hitting a page button lights up a box saying page 1, or whatever - but there is nothing else on the screen at all. Can't find a way to get any other info up. So, I'm thinking is it faulty, or am I stupid. The manual doesn't mention anything about the actual screen in terms of setup, but the screenshots in the book I can't seem to get?

Any help would be great - please?

Paul

Well, I've got it. I've managed to get the hang of the syntax for adding fixtures, salling them up into the show list, then doing very similar things to actually patch them had me foxed.

One snag.

Brysons comment about the mouse. I can't find anywhere to plug one in - there's only a keyboard socket. Is there a keyboard with old 5 pin plug that has a built in mouse/tracker ball?

The other thing is the screen show four rows of greay boxes to match the top half buttons - hitting a page button lights up a box saying page 1, or whatever - but there is nothing else on the screen at all. Can't find a way to get any other info up. So, I'm thinking is it faulty, or am I stupid. The manual doesn't mention anything about the actual screen in terms of setup, but the screenshots in the book I can't seem to get?

Paul

Hog mice are serial - is there not a 9 pin "D" connector (looks like a VGA, but 9 pins) on the back?

- Tim

One snag.

The other thing is the screen show four rows of greay boxes to match the top half buttons - hitting a page button lights up a box saying page 1, or whatever - but there is nothing else on the screen at all. Can't find a way to get any other info up. So, I'm thinking is it faulty, or am I stupid. The manual doesn't mention anything about the actual screen in terms of setup, but the screenshots in the book I can't seem to get?

Paul

Hog mice are serial - is there not a 9 pin "D" connector (looks like a VGA, but 9 pins) on the back?

- Tim

No Tim, I have an old serial mouse, but the only multi-pin sockets are the vga and a normal 'd' type printer port

Hi Paul,

First of all, I have a little apology for you...I'm used to a Hog 2, and have used a Hog 1000 and 500...I thought the 600 was the same, but there are some differences. The 600 does not support a mouse!

No worries though. The grey boxes correspond to the pallette buttons on the top of the desk. They hold your various bits of recorded info. The grey boxes won't fill up until you programme them with something.

The other slight problem is that the 600 doesn't have an onboard effects engine, so you'll have to make your effects by hand.

Bryson - thanks. I suspect that the mouse board is an option - there are several empty bays. I've also discovered how to make the display spring to life. The setup button does far more than the small lcd panel shows. As in, setup plus 1-5 to put the monitor into the various modes. Setup and cursor moves around the screen. So all is well - I'd just like to say that everybody who knocks Strand for being awkward are way off. I suspect I'll actually like this thing. It's in virtually brand new condition and has a decent flightcase with storage for all the bits and pieces. Effects wise, I knew this bit - just a fan feature, but I can't have everything! Thanks everyone for the prompt ideas and suggestions - really appreciated.

Paul

One snag.

Paul

- Tim

No Tim, I have an old serial mouse, but the only multi-pin sockets are the vga and a normal 'd' type printer port

Well, I guess I am in the same boat as Bryson - I have a Hog 500, and also assumed that the older stuff was the same . . ..

- Tim

Well, I'm happy now. It seems that after a clean reset a number of parameters have to be reset. One involves the 'pig' button, so pressing it didn't achieve anything. Now that's sorted I can access the combinations to make the monitor display what I need. Oddly, there are a number of routes to get to common screens, but if you take the wrong one, despite the screens saying you have done something, you haven't. Little wierd things like raising a fader not running the cue, unless you press go first - once you find the screen that lets raising the fader or pushing flash run the cue, it works as you expect.

In fact - I rather now like it. The lack of a shape generator is a drawback, but the focus position palletes go a long way to solving that one with a few extra button presses. There are a few strange things like having to select your range of fixtures, which then appear on the output screen at 0 - even if you haven't patched them and its need to have things set, rather than automatically occuring.

Still - they say steep learning curves are good for you.........

The lack of a shape generator is a drawback

the last version (build 32 or 34) from memory has effects engine playback... try a combination of pig & control keys and it should bring it up... you'll get all the standard shapes the 1000 and 500 has assuming the shape file is in your startup disk.

If you want extra shapes, load your show file into Hog PC, make new shapes using the effects engine and then save your show, remembering to use save as and chosing 'Version 2 (32)'

The desk will run faster and respond better if you don't keep the 'output' window active all the time, especially when paying back a lamp and effect intensive show.

Regards

Tim

I'm a happy bloke. Shapes and all gadgets work. I've managed to write some fixture libs for the kit I have, and they work. I've found the auto feature to fill up the palletes, and I've just discovered hog pc works great as an editor on my pc. Damn annoying my laptop doesn't have a floppy! I tried using the editor someone linked to from this forum, but in the end found it simpler to copy and paste from a very similar one. Actually a Robe 250 wash - 2 slight edits in the beam attributes when you compare manuals, but when I downloaded the robe version from flying pig - the change was already implemented. So I guess a Coemar prowash 250 really is a Robe product! Thanks to everybody.

Archived