Pop Up Adverts

Lena

Hello,

I have just been looking at midi.com and gave up because of an irritating box trying to offer me a prize I don't want. So I have two questions;

Is there any free/ very cheap software that will get rid of these pop up things?

Does anyone know of any site similar to midi.com where I can get info on using midi, without the adverts. I just want to improve my knowledge.

Ta,

Selena

Guest lightnix

I use ZoneAlarm by Zone Labs and haven't had a pop up in ages. It's reasonably priced, although they will offer you a few other bits of security software on your way to the checkout. There is also a free version to try out.

It can also block cookies and help track hackers, along with blocking unauthorised snooping around your computer. It's actually quite scary when you read through the alert log files, trace the sources of the alerts through WhoIs and realise that there are just hundreds of little data gathering companies across the planet, who are trying to access your computer for some unknown reason.

:D :stagecrew: :stagecrew:

Use the Mozilla web browser. It really is better than Internet explorer. (Netscape 7 is essentially the same product, rebranded)

To enable pop up blocking, go to Edit menu, choose Preferences, then the "Privacy and Security" bit, and under "Popup Windows" check the "Block unrequested popups" box.

It also does clever things like tabbed browsing (instead of opening lots of browser windows all over the place) and, if you use the email client, has suprisingly effective spam filtering. And if you use it to remember all your web passwords then it'll lock them all securely with a master password.

Hello,

Thank you all.

I like the idea of the thing lightnix suggested, I get worried about people hacking into my pc. My dad works with computers, and he regularly catches people/bugs etc try to eat his firewalls and other protective devices.

I'm never sure what is lurking in the matrix.

Selena

Archived