Return to the forbidden planet

Mr Steve

Hi,

I'm going to be lighting Return to the Forbidden Planet at a school in December. Was just wondering if anyone had and tips / ideas to share from when they did the show, lighting wise. What did you use? What looked good?

One nice thing I recall was the designer found a bunch red roundels from some retired r40 strips and built them into the perimeter of the set floor. Each roundel had a 150 watt mr 16 beneath it. When the ship was in distress these went in a chase effect. The show was in our black box so everyone could see the effect.

The best thing about the show is that you can use virtually anything you can get your hands on. When I last did it, we got loads of junk computer monitors and hung them underneath the upper circle - all had the rear of the tubes smashed off and coloured bulbs inside - red green and blue in each one - not led, but pretty good for the early 90's. Now I'd be very tempted to use lots of projection screens. The essential thing is the ability to change colours/states quickly and dramatically. I used loads of vertical pars with cp60's in. Warning, siren, snap to pulsating vertical 'stabs', back up into a red state, back to normal as danger passed. This also darkened the stage so the video meteorites stood out better. Make every 'station' a tightly lit area, so you can also hit these to match the audio. No need for conventionality (I think I may have just made this word up?)

• 1 month later...

Well, I did it, and the run is now over. Pics are up in the 'Show your show' thread.

I dug out a few old circuit boards for the set folks to hang on the set, used 8 birdies to liven the set up and make it more 'hi-tech' looking. I also set up two old laptops as display screens to scroll text randomly on the set. It was a really good show!

Archived