EQ

conan

Hey,

Just wonder if you could tell me the best way to eq a PA. I currently just playt a cd I know well and boost and cut the frequencies accordingly. Is there any more accrrate way of Doing it. What about RTA? I am currently an apprentice at a sound and lighting company working on everything from confrences and fashion shows to musicals and band gigs. I am using systems ranging from EV sx 100's to D&B Q's line array system.

Cheers

Hey,

Just wonder if you could tell me the best way to eq a PA. I currently just playt a cd I know well and boost and cut the frequencies accordingly. Is there any more accrrate way of Doing it. What about RTA? I am currently an apprentice at a sound and lighting company working on everything from confrences and fashion shows to musicals and band gigs. I am using systems ranging from EV sx 100's to D&B Q's line array system.

Cheers

At the risk of sounding glib, I think the best thing would be to ask whoever mentors you to give you a hand and walk you through some techniques. After all, a bloke (or blokette) stood next to you will be infinitely more helpful because they can hear what you hear and can explain what you're hearing to you as it happens.

People tend to use various different methds (or mixtures of methods) to EQ a system, for different things...

RTAs etc. are handy tools and certainly have their place, but they won't always be there, so don't forget about using your ears. Come to think of it, you need to use your ears even when you're using an RTA...

I'm sure those more knowledgable than me will chime in.

Dave M

Proabably say the easiest way to make a small system sound sweet is to try and make it sound like the hi-fi in your living room, provideing it isn't a £50 special from asda, with a little bit more bottom end, it will be a good starting point for the likes of the EV type gear. I would say when you get to more complicated equipment, such as the Q series, then an RTA, or preferably JBL Smarrt, is invaluable, it is pricy though, and you might need to be tought how to use it properly, though it can be a formidible tool. Helps to spot those things that you can't put your finger on, especially when timing PA hangs to sub stacks, and building your own crossovers if you need to. But I would say, always have a listen and a tweak, if you need to, with your ears. The aim is flatness, so the mix has a smooth base to start on.

I'm sure that the people you work with would be happy to go through with you the steps that they take to tune a system. I know that it's the easiest way to learn, when you have the gear in front of you, though everybody does it differenty.

Hope this helps.

Hey,

Just wonder if you could tell me the best way to eq a PA.

Cheers

As others have said already, a difficult one to advise in print.

One thing that ALWAYS gives me concerns for the quality of the sound techs is too much bass.

There is a tendency amongst the inexperienced to think that loadsa bass is good. This could not, IMHO, be further from the truth. Bass has it's place and is desirable in the right quantity, but over-cook it and all you get is over-driven bass bins and a 3-day headache!

Whatever you do, aim to get a good clean balance of the frequency spectrum that sounds clean and clear, where you can hear the full range of instrumentation and vocals being used.

Some situations demand more bass, others more treble, others need the mid range cutting or upping, but the only person who can decide what's working is the guy on the desk.

The best teacher here is experience.

TD

To be honest. Having used both systems you have mentioned and things such as the Lacoustics Vdosc etc. It's what ever sounds good to you.

There is a average sound that most people like to hear. But, as long as it is clear and warm, and the bass is shaking the bits of your body that it should shake! There isn't a lot else anyone can tell you over a forum. Besides, Each room brings it's own challenges.

The only thing I would say is be careful when you boost frequencies as this can make the room more active and cause feedback.

As someone mentioned earlier having a mentor stood next to you will be more help on this one.

When it comes to RTA's IMHO... If you can't do it with your ears then you shouldn't be doing it!

When it comes to monitors you're not gonna have a RTA on every monitor to eliminate feedback are you????

Train your ears to know the effects of different frequencies and you're on to a winner!

Oh, and when you're using the d&b Q stuff, don't worry about over doing the subs..... They will go on for ever! They rock!

HTH

Simon

... One thing that ALWAYS gives me concerns for the quality of the sound techs is too much bass. ... There is a tendency amongst the inexperienced to think that loadsa bass is good.

This is quite a widely held view, at all levels of experience from wannabe to seasoned pro.

Once you get to a certain level of system (which I'll define as "proper" full range plus subs), the subs are often driven off an aux or group, so sub balance isnt an EQ thing but a mix thing. And I'm sure this has lead to the state of affairs where the right kick level is when the sub amp clip light blinks on the beat, irrrespective of the rest of the balance.

Note I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with this practice...

Having had the lectures from 'Magu' at Meyer Sound, I'm wary of the use of RTA's. They work to measure the frequencies at the point the mic is placed. At that point the reflections could be cancelling 2.2kHz say, but 6 inchs to the left it could be boosting that freq. so to EQ the whole room based on that could leave various bits sounding rubbish. So unless your going to run a whole series of averages with different mic placement, then using an RTA to kill 2.2kHz is possibly flawed due to the initial info your basing the decision on.

I'd use my ears. Walk the venue. Use different styles of tracks that YOU know and feel comfortable with, and then learn how to use the more detailed programs to find phase isssues and timing issues which are the biggies that will make a big system sound like a sack of s....

Archived