Truss

TonyMitchell

I'm looking to buy some trussing, need something versatile and modular that will be used mainly for large mobile discos, probably 4 to 6mtrs width for starters

what's best?

- freestanding or on Powerdrive midihoist stands?

- hammer & pin or nut & bolt?

- what size/shape/weight?

any help & ideas greatfully received

Guest Lighting4Free
:** laughs out loud **: {snip} Pointless repetition of previous post removed

Hi

best type of trussing is prolyte

powerdrive would be easier

hammer and pin more stable

and I dont know really the weight but it shouldn'tweigh much

Hi

Subjective or objective judgement? I would have thought that someone with a strong view on specific makes and types would know about weights...

[/cynic]

"Best" is a bit subjective, but I've had great results with the 30cm Prolyte quad stuff. Triangle truss is probably more suitable for this application, but I do like Prolyte's "egg, pin and clip" system.

Powerdrive or goalpost? Depends on if you want the "look" of truss legs and the ability to rig on the sides, or if putting it up with the minimum of manpower is your priority.

I am just as cynical as Andrew C re initial response. I can think of many occasion when Prolyte is one of the last makes of truss I would have within sight of one of my gigs.

Having used most types in most environments..... (not being clever, just backing up my thoughts..)

Trilite, although very cost effective does not stand up to a lot of use, particularly when bunged in vans etc. It is relatively soft aluminum and deforms with ease. It is also very easy to ovalise and abuse the ends when assembling.

There is a huge range of Prolyte products to choose from and although I am sure I am going to get abused here, it is not the best choice IMHO.

I personally would go for Slick Litebeam/Camco S-type which are very hardwearing and well built products, or a triangular variant form Total Fabs or Thomas. I can easily provide Camco info and pricing. Chris Higgs is member here as a Total Fabs contact. For the regular and ease of use, pins and clips has to be better than bolts.

The Camco is available with a similar egg/pin system as Prolyte to give loads of flexibility.

As regards assembly, if unloaded, then a unit of that size could have 4 truss legs made of smallish (eg 1m) sections and legs applied 2 at a time (ie 2 on 1 side, then 2 on the other and repeat etc). If you want to put it up loaded then something like windup stands is in order. It is hard to give more accurate advise without having a little more info re height and loading expected etc. Also that even a relatively simple structure needs thought and competence to utilise and construct etc.

feel free to pm

Milos, Litec, Prolyte, Lite Structures, New Wave, Slick, Thomas, Total Fabs, Camco, Trilite, ATC, Stafford Engineering, Eurotruss, Tomcat, and a few others.

That's just the stuff easily available in the UK, there are a great many more overseas.

They all make stuff that would do what the OP mentioned.

Archived