Have you ever...

andy jackson

can't think of any specific incidents I have seen where safety chains have caught anything, however I have seen :-

a gel frame fall from a par 64 about 5m in the air and stuck into the stage it landed on.

a bar of 6 fall from the top of a zarge's ladder, after the person derigging it had unclipped the safetys, lifted it off the truss and then realised it was heavier than it looked, surprisingly no damage, as it landed flat on all 6 lamps, have also seen a similar situation in the same venue with a bar of six swinging down from a truss after someone had done all of the above but not disconnected the socapex.

and the messiest one I have seen was sound related, and one of those things that you would never account for, after sound checks, band comes out onto stage, they kick off with their first number, not like anything they had done in the sound check, the foh engineer cranked up the turbo pa and the sub was fierece, several ceiling tiles fell from the back of the auditorium, over 10m!!! had never happened before, and with a sense of irony they actually landed on the foh engineer, although the meter bridge on the midas took the brunt of the attack!!!

in the same venue a few years later from a similar part of the ceiling, a similar thing happened, this time one of the old mushroom type air conditioning vent things fell 10m from ceiling onto a packed dance floor, now the human head is surprisingly resilient to attack from above as this mushroom thing must have been 800mm in diameter and weighed nearly 10kgs, 2 people ended up in hospital, but not seriously injured.

now I must state that I was not responsible for any of these events.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived