Dual Output System

3guk

Right I have searched for this and nothing turned up so I am hoping one of you guys has a similar situation. Basically I have 2 graphics cards in my pc and am looking to cue stuff up on one and the other play full screen videos.

For a show coming up I have 2 videos I would like the controls to be on the screen thats near me and the other one to do full screen video.

Whats the best and pref free software to use ?

Easy to do with one, but I don't know about two feeds...

I have a card in a machine at work that has a specific setting that outputs DVD full screen to one port and you keep control etc on the other, including the image in a window. I'll look for a name but it's not an uncommon brand.

Video Lan Client should do what you want, I've just tried and you can open two copies and switch between them with only a minor glitch. Use Settings, Switch Interface, wxWindows to split the video and control sections. As Andrew says showing two feeds at the same time with control would be a different issue. May well be possible by writing a small application, or possibly a webpage and streaming two things.

HTH

PN

Ok, here is how id do it if I had the setup you described and had no other hardware.

Lets say that Screen 1 is your control screen and Screen 2 is your output screen which will also have its image sent off to your projectors etc...

So first you configure windows to have an extended desktop over the two, make sure screen 2 is the primary monitor.

Then, open winamp, add the two video feeds to the playlist. Then in the playlist - at the menu at the top - select Playlist > Playlist preferences and check the box that says 'Manual Playlist advance'

Now, make sure you detach the video window, move the remaining winamp windows to screen 1 and then click the fullscreen video window on screen 2.

Now you have controls on a seperate monitor, and fullscreen video on the other. (I just tested it now and it works great). Problem solved - no cost involved

Cheers

Whats the best and pref free software to use ?

PCStage with the MediaSync plugin, which is designed for just this application, and is free. Download from here

Configure your machine up as extended desktop, with the primary being the one you work on and the secondary the full screen video. Open the MediaSync plugin, and select second monitor or whatever its called. Job done. The second screen will go black between things being played.

You can either play the vids manually, or set up cues to do it for you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
errrr I hate to say this but 'powerpoint'

It does work, and I've used this before.

However, if you want video clips longer than a few seconds it can't cope, plus you need a legal version which is rather expensive unless you already have it.

VLC is the 'best' solution from a budget POV, as it's free.

It's not the easiest of software to learn to use, but the learning curve is relatively shallow.

However, if you want video clips longer than a few seconds it can't cope, plus you need a legal version which is rather expensive unless you already have it.

VLC is the 'best' solution from a budget POV, as it's free.

It's not the easiest of software to learn to use, but the learning curve is relatively shallow.

no prob with long clips , used it with a 30min+ video on quite a few occashions

if your on a budget use open office it free and it just as good as the microsoft stuff

Get hold of an ATI Radeon 9000 series card, with dual output, around £50, job done (I use mine on a regular basis for 2 screen vj set up)

This is what I have. Works well.

I also use Powerpoint for longish videos. Occasional problems with mpegs (I suspect that it is mpeg2 videos created using Pinnacle Studio although of course it may be coincidence) but no problems with WMV format. I keep checking for Windows media player updates because there seems to be a link with powerpoint. If Media player hasn't got the codec then powerpoint can't play it as far as I can tell.

Screen Monkey can do exactly what you want to do.

Thank you for suggesting this. I have downloaded this and think it is perfect for the task. Slightly idiosyncratic default settings but excellent product. Using it in anger tomorrow. Feeling confident.

Update: Worked seamlessly. Recommended.

Great to hear that you found Screen Monkey so 'perfect' and it performed 'seemlessly'.

The default settings are suposed to be set to give users the maximum possibility of seeing something when they first start the program. If the default monitor was the second monitor and they had non, then they would see nothing. I agree though, the first thing I do when I install the program is to change the settings. I would be interested in any suggestions to change the defaults.

Archived