Fake Fruit & Veg

Suzette

Does anyone know a supplier of cheap plastic fruit and veg?

I've done some googling but it all seems a bit expensive. The kids shops that have play fruit and veg are also a bit on the expensive side.

The problem is that I need some specific items, like 5 bananas, so the boxes of fake fruit on ebay aren't really suitable.

I can't find any theatre suppliers, except to hire - but as I need the props for at least 2 shows I would prefer to buy (if I can find the budget for them)

Any ideas?

Why does it need to be fake?

Because under the lights of a show it will go off - and I want to keep it for some time. (Yes I know I can varnish!)

And the bananas are going to be used as guns so need to be robust!

It is also something that often comes up in a show and it would be easier in the long run just to have a stock of fake fruit and veg!

Guest lightnix
Have you thought of making a plaster mould from the fruit, then casting in latex and filling out with expanding foam? I'm sure there's a thread (with links) on casting somewhere in Props & Wardrobe.

The plaster mould idea was discussed with my makers/builders but with the amount of other work they also have to do and the (always) little amount of time to do it in it was decided it wasn't practicable at the moment.

If things quieten down (ha, ha, I see a pig going past my top floor window!!) then we will be making some. But for now I would like to buy, if possible.

Surely someone must supply them - they can't just appear in the world from no-where, can they???

Thanks for all replies - replica foods seem to be the place to go but I have also found that Terralec also do some fake fruit and veg. Click on artificial trees and plants on the left.

They don't have a wide selection but do have a few useful bits and pieces, and some other useful things like bamboo....

Archived