Fake Blood for injuries on stage

AnnalisaC

Fake blood - buy from Flints 020 7703 9786 (I'm sure I answered the same question not long ago on this forum .... did you do a search first before posting?)

We will need more details on the sort of injury required before being able to help further - knife wound? head-butting? gun-shot? punch to face?

Fake blood - buy from Flints 020 7703 9786 (I'm sure I answered the same question not long ago on this forum .... did you do a search first before posting?)

We will need more details on the sort of injury required before being able to help further - knife wound? head-butting? gun-shot? punch to face?

We have a throat slit, bludgeoning and stabbing. Any suggestions how to work these?

Stabbing - presume that the knife is going for the stomach? If so then a blood capsule or blood bag (wrap some fake blood in a couple layers of cling film) fixed under the costume. Break the bag and, hey presto, blood!

Other injuries - possibly something similar, maybe the blood bag on the item doing the bludgeoning?

Have you asked your fight director for some advice? I realise you aren't working in professional theatre but this sounds like quite a major fight on stage.... and, even as amateurs, you and the actors still need to be safe on stage! I would suggest you employ a professional fight director, to ensure you don't end up with real blood and real injuries.

If your company is a member of NODA they may be able to help you out with a suitable person, if not try the British Academy of Stage & Screen Combat, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope that helps

No fight - that's good news then - for the throat slitting what works well is a "blood knife" (and no, I have no idea if that is the proper term for it!)

2 cheap kitchen knives & break the handle off one of them.

Get a plastic pipet and lay along the side of one of the knives, lay the other knife on top to make a sandwich of knives with the pipet in the middle. The bulb end of pipet was just sticking out of the end next to the handle.

Plenty of hot glue gun work later and blunting of knives ...

stage blood into the pipet, actor runs knife across wrist whilst squeezing pipet - as if by magic - a line of blood where the knife "cut".

Try making a channel of glue for the pipet to feed down through so you can remove the pipet to fill with blood.

By the way ... did you do a blue room search before you posted as there is already a thread on here about this : here

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I make my own. (I first posted this on the SMA forum but here it is for you all)

Good realistic blood is now an alchameical experiment not a arduous quest.

I shall reveal. And it washed out! And it is edible. Tastes awful but glycerine is used to reat sore thoats. Actor pampering and convincingly grewsome in one prop!

Ingedients

Glycerine (from the local chemist)

Red food dye or paste (exact color is a personal preference)

Blue food dye or paste (Navy is good I have found)

and

Camp coffee

Heres how

1 - Take a mixing bowl, jug or air tight container. Using the end of a tea spoon (if using paste) and dip it in to the Red colour 2cm. If using liquid 3 drops. Add a desert spoon of water.

2 - Add 2 standard coffee mugs of the glycereine and mix.

I find a container with a airtight lid is good so you can shake and swill the mixture. Do not worry about the air bubbles. Left to stand they come out.

This should give you a bright red gloopy base. If you are looking for arterial (bright red oxygenated blood from the heart this will be a place to judge whether you have the correct red colour. Surface cuts especially.

3 - If you want darker anterial blood which has been round the body and is Darker, thicker and bluer in apperance add tiny amounts of blue to you mix. This can be added at the start once you know your composition.

4 - This may look passable when in the prop room but we need to expose it to high intensity light. Things look differet in daylight and as we know under stage lights. To darken the mixture for performance perposes if where the Camp Coffee is added. Again it's trial and error depending where on stage the blood will be seen.

5 - The drip test. The glycereine holds the blood together but can dilute the mix if not in the right proportions. Know what situation the blood needs to appearing and visual qualities required from the batch. You may need several batched for different jobs. Left out on the side to the air will thinken the mixture over 48hrs.

Notes and tips

This receipe was developed in a prop room and was initially very messy especially when testing the delivery system! It was used as blood from a head wound caused by a gun shot. Dying as far down stage as is possible to be under great scrutiny! How many gasps of "urgh" and "gross" in the rehearsal room and your previews will detirmine your success so keep it secret and reveal your final mix only in a delivered test in context. Other wise every one will say "Thats not real blood" Well der... The brain is a natty critic and is not easily fooled.

Oh and make good notes when in the lab!

Test the wash ability of the concoction on fabric samples. We did have to work with the costume designer to ensure the mix washed from the fabric.

Cotton, natural and synthetics are fine but should be put in to soak ASAP just in case. Can the iten stand the washing process is more the question.Never leave to dry it getts very sticky. If in the tests a stain is left chose a differet brand of food colour.

Happy playing,

CJ

Archived