Suggestions on how to get the video there.

Sim

Just looking at some suggestions on how to get video to our projectors.

We have 2 projectors - both will display same image.

We will have 2 cameras into the mixer. And will also have a computer for powerpoint. (mixer only has 2 inputs)

The main problem is that the projectors are about 50 meters from where it will be mixed.

If you need more specific info please just ask in this thread and I will try to provide it.

I'm a bit confused. The obvious answer to the question 'how to get the video there' is cable. Asuming this isn't what you wanted, I'm guessing you want a solution to how to get 3 sources into 2 inputs?

The bodge version works if you have a pc with video out? Then a simple switch that you select either a camea or the computer will work, as long as you switch it 'off-air'. This assumes your mixer has a y/c input, as most computers with video out use this, rather than a conventional composite output. Things to watch out for are sync problems. The mixer may derive its sync from one input or the other - this must be the one that doesn't get hard switches by the external button.

If you don't have a pc with ideo out, then you are stuck with splitting a monitor feed (plenty of y splitters about) and a long run of monitor cable. If the projectors don't switch easily between inputs then you may get the dreaded blue screen which looks awful, as you switch. There is also the possibility that only one projector switches, then the second push switches the second AND the first and it goes haywire.

If you can't blag a better mixer so you can handle 3 sources, then it is a bodge. The worst bodge is with video AND computer sources switched at the projectors.

If I've got the wrong end of the stick please say.

Well it depends what your mixer output is. If it is S-video then you could use 'Y/C splits' to split the S-Video source into 2 lines and run them down BNC cable (we use Van damme) and use a Y/C split at the other end to go into the projector on S-Video. The BNC connections are lockable and can be extended so you could use 5x10metre lengths per run of cable.

Or use composite (poorer image quality) and run one line to each projector, again using BNC cable.

you can comfortably run composite that distance with no line amplifiers providing you use good quality cabling like BBC standard PSF 1/3 - or PSF1/2 (1/2 is better for longer runs). This isnt expensibe cable, its sub 80p a meter... Terminate with BNC's

If its VGA, then you want to split it into RGBHV and send it down 5 lines of SD01 to your projectors.

Although notionally S-video does give better image quality, there is no increase in resolution - and the only difference is that Luminance and Chrominance waveforms are split into two seperate signals. In a composite feed, they are combined - hence the name 'composite' video. in theory this provides better color rendition and contrast by reducing interferance between the two waveforms. In reality, over short runs with good cables you'd never notice the difference - over 50m though you would start to notice a difference.

You definately dont want to be barrelling connections together - 1 long length of cable is better

Since you say you are mixing it - im gonna be cheeky and assume that you are mixing PAL 576i - not XGA or anything fancy. In which case the best quality option would be to take Svideo down two lengths of PSF 1/2 to your projectors. If you need to run two projectors, you can distribute the signal near to them.

Cheers

To be honest unless your cable run is pretty huge and beyond the limits of cable length for video or vga, converting to cat5 and back will probably be more expensive than just buying some long cables.

Cheap VGA to CAT5 from CPC £65 or so. Also splits to two outputs at both ends. Link on another recent thread somewhere...

Blue Shift's advice on cable is spot on. Canford are a good source, and if you buy the pull out box in a larger length it works very well and is tough enough to pull accross ceiling voids and re-use. The only caveat is to use decent BNCs with strain reliefs. If you do, they seem to last. It isn't the most flexible available, but the performance is excellent. I too, have not found substantial benefits from y/c in definition terms, but there is a benefit in terms of perceived noise - colour artefacts in fine detail are a bit better. I spent a while a week or so ago deciding which to use for a project and in the end settled for composite as although on a decent monitor, close in I could see a difference, it vanished at the end of 50m of cable to a projector.

To be honest unless your cable run is pretty huge and beyond the limits of cable length for video or vga, converting to cat5 and back will probably be more expensive than just buying some long cables.

Cheap VGA to CAT5 from CPC £65 or so. Also splits to two outputs at both ends. Link on another recent thread somewhere...

Has anybody used this sort of equipment? How did they preform?

Even though I live in australia, I know I can find that stuff over here from some google searches.

The only caveat is to use decent BNCs with strain reliefs. If you do, they seem to last.

<snippity snip>

I use heatshrink over the crimped BNC. The plastic slidey boots don't seem to do much in my opinion.

David

The boots are more for identification purposes and to stop extremely tight bend radii around the connector than anything else. Buying the BNC connectors that match your cable diameter will mean that when you crimp the connectors the sheath will be held securely enough to stop cable tugs destroying the connections

Archived