How far will Svga Travel..

Fleeting

Hi,

We are about to install a new video projector at our venue. The Av company have quoted us a high figure for the installation of the multi-core from stage to control room. They have also quoted us for a vga buffer/amplifier to boost the signal.

As I'm thinking about doing the cable run my self I need to know the following.

1. If I run 5core psf 1/3 broadcast cable from front top back (40 metres) will there be negliable loss in the cable.

2. is there a better spec. cable to use?

3. Could I get away with a lower quality cable?

Thank you in advance.

Fleeting

Id be using SD01 for SVGA.

It just so happens, that although SD01 is designed for SDI signals, an analogue SVGA signal runs close to the same spec and so for longer distances you will prolly get better results out of SD01. The shorter the run, the more forgiving the cable will be

The answers to all three questions can be summarised as depending on what resolution (i.e. frequency) you're sending, and the quality of the output.

1. If I run 5core psf 1/3 broadcast cable from front top back (40 metres) will there be negliable loss in the cable.

It depends on the resolution. For 60Hz 640x480 video you're looking at about 25MHz (possibly incorrect back of envelope calculation,) and from the PSF 1/3 specs you've got maybe ~6 dB/100m attenuation. So you might well get away with 40m. But if you're running at 70Hz 1024x768 you're nearer 60MHz, and might be nudging 10dB/100m which is slightly more dubious, but not impossible. Best way is to try it and see.

It'll also depend on the noise evironment - run your cables next to dimmed lighting cables, and you'll probably see some nasty interference. Run them carefully and that'll be less of a problem.

2. is there a better spec. cable to use?

3. Could I get away with a lower quality cable?

2; probably. If nothing else, PSF1/2 is lower loss.

3; possibly. Check the spec of the cable against the signal you're putting down it. A poke of google reveals things like this; http://www.inlineinc.com/products/coax/8000.htm which reckon they're good for 25 feet (~8m) without an amp, and 50' with a 3db (i.e. 50%) loss.

As I mentioned before SD01 works wonders. Bryant broadcast do a nice SD01 multicore cable with 6 cores. I use these for projectors and wire them RGBHV and leave one for a backup composite feed. if you have a line amplifier (say a kramer VP103 or something) then you'll be fine

Archived