lab, test tubes, fog etc

jiras410

hi there, we are trying to create a lab on stage so we need information on cheap suppliers for test tubes and other lab equipment. also how would you create fog in the tubes ? other than connecting a fog machine to it. any ideas? and I was thinking some sort of clear tubing, think its available from homebase, b&q etc ... can anyone confirm that. and where do you get them glowing tubes from? any great ideas on how to create a funky lab on stage be much appreciated. please email me jiras410@yahoo.com

And you need a Jacobs Ladder - Clive will hire you one :-)

... liebig condensor... especially if you could find a way of getting bubbles into the cooling stream that spirals round the edge.

You need to find an old Technicon AutoAnalyser pump. For a picture go here and select the pump and platen slides.

My first career (early 80s) was as a Medical Laboratory Scientific Officer (a hospital lab tech) and these machines were used to automatedly analyse blood samples for levels of stuff, such as glucose. In the early 50's a chap by the name of Leonard T. Skeggs figured out that if you had bubbled liquid flowing through a tube then the tube self-cleaned itself, and thus "carryover" (contamination of one sample by another) was vastly reduced.

The AutoAnalyser technology is now basically junk, so you can find this stuff in skips and auctions for next to nothing...

Or you could build one - fish tank air pump, small water pump, solenoid, bit of electronics

>hi there, we are trying to create a lab on stage so we need information on cheap suppliers for >test tubes and other lab equipment.

Lab equipment suppliers , but real glassware is expensive, also chemistry dept at local school/uni.

>also how would you create fog in the tubes ? other than connecting a fog machine to it. any >ideas?

Dry ice in water will fog off slowly, while your in asking the chemistry dept..... sometimes samples of things are packed with dry ice.

>and I was thinking some sort of clear tubing, think its available from homebase, b&q etc ... >can anyone confirm that.

B&Q tend to be expensive but they have it, garden centres and aquarium places usually have a selection. While your in the aquarium centre get a cheap air pump.

>and where do you get them glowing tubes from?

Chemi luminescent light sticks?ebay ,party shop, pound shop etc.

Cold cathode lamps? PC modding places, ebay etc

> any great ideas on how to create a funky lab

Mixed glassware from local cheapo emporium, some interesting vase shapes and sphaghetti jars etc with addition of clear tubing filled with UV active fluids, washing up powder glows blue, car antifreeze orange and green usually, blacklight concealed in setup. Bubbles in flasks from your cheap air pump. Flashing LEDS from Christmas light string..

>on stage be much appreciated.

Your welcome as long as we get half the marks for doing your homework ;-)

> please email me jiras410@yahoo.com

Post here , read here normally how it works.

also how would you create fog in the tubes ? other than connecting a fog machine to it.

Mrs Buckley has suggested those little ultrasonic fog generator things intended for water displays from gift shops or flower arrangement or pond shops.

Just another idea.

Mrs Buckley has suggested those little ultrasonic fog generator things intended for water displays from gift shops or flower arrangement or pond shops.

Just another idea.

Yep, we recently used one of these:

5 Head Mist Maker

to great effect for the witches cauldron in Macbeth.

The mister was in a clear plastic bowl of water, lit from beneath by a pair of birdies - all enclosed in a set piece.

Marc

It might just be worth mentioning that this will be a broad-band emitter...

Not to mention a broad band emiter of pain if you get a bit near :-)

I love this image from Clive's site (hope he doesnt mind me linking)

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bigclive/patlabel.jpg

Jacob's Ladder and 'safe' in the same sentence just doesnt feel right...

What kind of "LAB" are you thinking of? We could have fun here!

Look in Anchor Supplies in the Nottingham Cattle Market area anchorsupplies.com 01159864902 01773570139 01530 811800

Also look at Laurence Corner

Tel: (020) 7813 1010

Fax: (020) 7813 1413

62-64 Hampstead Road

London

NW1 2NU

Smoke comes from the maplin mini-fogger range (ultrasonic).

Set up a lab bench white top and a high rack for reagent bottles.

You have the start of an illicit still producing moonshine/poteen etc .....

Go to your local doctors - a lot of things are delivered on dry ice - add 1 or 2 pellets to the bottom of a test tube and you have smoke.

A lot of lab equiptment is pyrex - which is not cheap. I have a 750ml conicle flask sitting on one of my shelves in my living room which I got from a closing down factory (they used it to quality control things). Look for the cheaper alternatives, like the plastic pathology test tubes that doctors use (vacutubes). Or hire them - I know my school hired all of their beakers and flasks.

Also, try and hire an old style distilation unit like this:

http://wholesalewaterdistillers.com/distiller-water/american-water-distillers/lab-glass-distiller.jpg

or something like this:

http://www.kegworld.com/new1103/wine2burgandyL.jpg

which is for distilling wines (and there is a bonus for after the show ;))

• 2 weeks later...

And you need a Jacobs Ladder - Clive will hire you one :-)

It might just be worth mentioning that this will be a broad-band emitter and likely to play havoc with radio mics, if nothing else. You have been warned, Dr Frankenstein! ;)

If big clives ladder is too small try:

http://www.hvfx.co.uk/

"HVFX, producers of the world's most spectacular electrical special effects. Our million Volt lightning effects enable our clients throughout the live event, motion picture and visitor attraction industries to achieve incredible audience impact."

Prob slightly safer to get some winchesters and fill the clear glass ones with bright coloured water ( Dylon ) and back light them.

Is this supposed to be a wet chem lab or an electronics lab or ....... is it supposed to be static or have movement or be used by the cast???

Archived