new van, what would you get?

strandgsx

I am aware of the operators licence once over the 3.5tGVW etc, but after reading the other topics recently- I think for now the priority is to get within the weight limit...then get the license ASAP!

That sounds like a dodgy thing to do to me. If you were caught, the penalty for not having an O license is probably bigger than that for being overweight (which is quite silly I guess - which is more dangerous?!). And what will you do if they don't grant you a license?

While I've not played with the 65 models, I have driven the 3.5T ones. They're quite good. Nothing much to complain about with the way they drive, and they're built like tanks, and are also massive inside. In 3.5T guise, they're rather heavy, so the payload is poor, but it doesn't look overloaded like a sprinter does! Making it into a 6.5Ter doesn't add too much to the weight, so there's a massive payload: 3800kgs according to Iveco. That's way more than you get with a 7.5Ter. Manufacturers payloads are usually somewhat on the optimistic side, but even so, that's a lot of PA!

Sounds like a good idea. Enjoy your van. I'd get the O license first though.

Paul

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cheers paul.......I know what you mean about the O license...applying now anyway, it just probably won't be through thats all, from research I gather that it is not a criminal offence to not have an o license although I'm sure I would still be scr**ed, just the lesser of two evils at the moment as I have work and must travel!

from research I gather that it is not a criminal offence to not have an o license although I'm sure I would still be scr**ed, just the lesser of two evils at the moment as I have work and must travel!

If you get caught without an O licence, then the driver and the company owner have committed an offence. This is held against your suitablility to run a transport operation, and may sway the authority's decision regarding whether you should be allowed to have an Operators Licence.

I would apply for the licence, and ensure you have spare capacity before buying the larger van. You will also know about demonstrating financial competence and ability and evidence that the vehicle will be properly maintained..... ;-)

Simon

Daily only drive a small Kangoo, but have hired most others. Personal favorite is the transit Jumbo, mainly because its a lot more comfortable than the harsh seats on the sprinter with their paving slab head rests. Sprinter engine has more poke but we have a new one at work & seems to be limited as gutless above 60 where as the hire one's fly. Ford give more extra's but are cutting back on wheel arch covers etc.

Why don't vans have electric mirrors as standard??? more useful than on a car! They must make so much money on all vans- think what car you can get for £23K & don't get me onto vat. :)

Andi

& don't get me onto vat.

why not? ;-)

By the time a business can afford to buy a new van, surely it will be VAT registered and thereore will reclaim this cost?

Not just new van's though - even a cheap 2nd hand one via a dealer will incur the governments wrath of VAT.!!

But yes you are right about the company registration etc.

Archived