Public Performance

kalmatthew

I was wondering if any one new what the laws were on showing films to small audience for a small fee. We guessed that we would need to get either some sort of licence or buy public licenced videos/dvd's if such things exist. Any advice would be much appreciated

Matthew

this is from the southwark application form for entertainments licensing - there will be local variations, no doubt, but: " a licence is required for any film exhibition (which includes the showing of videos) that may be attended by members of the public." and "Private film exhibitions by private film clubs do not need a licence where such clubs are properly constituted clubs with with an effective procedure for vetting applications for membership that prevent immediate admissiion being gained. A period of 48 hours is the normal period of time that is expected to elapse between application for membership and determination of the application". Clear as mud, eh? It's like having to be a member of The Arts Theatre Club to go and see Becket and Pinter plays in the days of censorship and the Lord Chamberlain.

To obtain copies of films that you were allowed to exhibit legally (i.e. not from your local Blockbuster), you would have to approach the distributors - there used to be companies that had catalogues of films you could rent fairly cheaply for public or film club exhibition, but I'm afraid I no longer have any details of these, but I'm sure they must still exist

So basically for school we would need to set it up as club with a 48 waiting period to join. and then contact WB or such to buy the correct sort of films. If this is correct any ideas on who to contact?

When I was at Uni we had a film Society with restricted membership. Only Students Staff Contractors Family and Friends of people at the university were allowed to enter. (gave us a membership of about 20.000 people but it was restricted!!!)

So basically for school we would need to set it up as club with a 48 waiting period to join. and then contact WB or such to buy the correct sort of films. If this is correct any ideas on who to contact?

When I was at Uni we had a film Society with restricted membership. Only Students Staff Contractors Family and Friends of people at the university were allowed to enter. (gave us a membership of about 20.000 people but it was restricted!!!)

Thanks that useful now to look at the costs hmm :** laughs out loud **:

Oh dear there go any profits ! We will need to look at alternative fund rasing thanks for the help any way

Well What is it you are trying to raise money for? and what have you tried already?

The Sound and light "Box" to get some equipment that means we can actual light the stage properly. (add to the 9 existing lights). Also to buy an MD player, a new amp, and some nice monitors!

We have tried to run a large event (battle of the DJ's) but the school wouldn't give permission. Others before us have tried to run Discos but have had problems with permission. We are also going to run a tuck shop (a sure firer winner). Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was at school we had a couple of ways or raising money simply... (as in with minimum moo)

1) "Top of the pops" Idealy aimed at year 9 age groups... Basicaly get the groups/inderviduals to put together acts that are miming to current chart hits - you should be able to get some efficient types to take on the responsibility of organising the event - charge £1 each on the door - £1 each for drinkies (soft) and get some nice VIth formers for bouncers...

2) "Fassion show" Selling programe space for favours it the way to get this one to work. If you can get a dosen "sets" with on average 8 people in each then you have 50 people on stage. Say another dosen backstage (makeup costune choreographers) and averiging three guests per turn you should be able to get 200 people in to this type of event... This is the type aimed at parents that you can charge £3 per head for - If you look out you should be able to get enough pa for £100 to make the event better than normal giving you £500 to spend on new lighting kit. (PM me if you have problems with getting sound) You will need to find entreprenerial types to phone round local clothes/ hairdressers/ makeup shops asking for favours in exchange for space in the programme. In the past we had (after a few years of running this type of event) suppliers willing to donate the clothes - then we could sell them for even more profit.

This is the type of thing that is more likly to get aproval - where there are a number of people involved in putting it together and there is something artistic/ creative going on. Try to get senior management on your side - most will realise that a thriving arts programme and a professionaly equiped self sufficient performance space will reflect well on prospective parents/students and ofstead/ LEA's etc. These guys like to be involved - do the thinking for them - don't say anything when your "sugestions" get their name on the end and wait for the cheques to come in.

Also we made a bit of a profit through hiring out / pitching events to other departments, particularly non academic ones - the PTA, Chaplaincy team, The SM team for open day - all run events where that extra professional sparkle will make things better for all concerned....

Good Luck

James

Thanks for the hints James. The School already runs a FAshion show (the money all goes to textiles) but I like the idea of TOTP. Very connivently for sound we can get what we need for Free :) as the Sound Tech's mate owns a lot of kit.

We are also running a tuck shop and seeling tea, coffee, croissant in the morning.

Thanks again. Any other suggestions welcomed.

:)

Hey - The Fashion show must be a rather dull show without lighting and sound :D

I'm not at all advocating anything whereby you could be accused of anything (Blackmail is such a dirty word round abouts civilised parts) but it isn't fair that another department is able to make a profit on a prodution that runs kit into the ground without paying a FAIR and SUITABLE and PROPORTIONATE amount to funds to use the kit ..

:blink: B-)

we also had the "love yo-yo's in concert"

Basically the teachers band with some wierd and wonderful permutations...)

That can be a laugh-

Ok

If you are looking after the equipment and there is no regular source of income for maintinance and capital investment then you have a case to bring this up and sugest that the burden be borne by whoever uses the equipment. Internal or external something like 5% on the door to the equipment should be enough to keep you in gell and gobos at least...

Archived