Strand Genius Pro external keyboard question

Bryson

Hello all.

I have a question about the possibility of remapping keys on the external keyboard with Strand Geniuspro.

I have a Strand 300/125, and although it's very nice, I'm not really that keen on the rubberised keys for long periods of plotting. What I wanted to do was get one of those USB numeric keypads (a nice one) and use that instead of the usual keys. The problem is, the + and - keys are fine, but I'd like the "*" to be "@" and "/" to be "on".

Is this possible? How do I go about it?

The * star key should already work as @ (pressing * in the OLE simulates the [@] key).

As for the "/", to do that you'd have to lose the functionality of the [/] key which lets you input both up and down fade times when recording a cue or whatever, like this [CUE][1][TIME][5][/][5][RECORD] as I'm sure you know.

Pressing "/" on an external keyboard does the same thing as pressing the [/] key, so to get it to function as the [ON] key you'd have to edit 220map.cfg and remap this key to the on function. Then the [/] key on the console would function as [ON].

I think that should work.

HTH,

Adam

The * star key should already work as @ (pressing * in the OLE simulates the [@] key).

It does? Dammit, the list of keyboard equivalents I'm using must be out of date or just plain wrong...

As for the "/", to do that you'd have to lose the functionality of the [/] key which lets you input both up and down fade times when recording a cue or whatever, like this [CUE][1][TIME][5][/][5][RECORD] as I'm sure you know.

Pressing "/" on an external keyboard does the same thing as pressing the [/] key, so to get it to function as the [ON] key you'd have to edit 220map.cfg and remap this key to the on function. Then the [/] key on the console would function as [ON].

Hmmm...shame, I was hoping you could remap the external Keyboard separately to the main console. @@ will do what I want, though.

In other news, I'm told that the USB ports on the 300 will not support a keyboard. Ah well, it seems I can do most of what I want to do, even if I might just end up using the numeric bit of the main keyboard after all, as there's only one PS/2 keyboard port.

In other news, I'm told that the USB ports on the 300 will not support a keyboard.  Ah well, it seems I can do most of what I want to do, even if I might just end up using the numeric bit of the main keyboard after all, as there's only one PS/2 keyboard port.

You used to be able to get splitters for the old laptops like mine that just came with one PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard. I don't really know how the protocol works, but it may well be you could get a splitter and then have a numeric keypad as well as the main keyboard. If you want to remap the key as far as I can see it there are probably two ways, either some sort of interface between the keypad and the port, that forwards everything but the / key and transmits the relevant alternative key. Otherwise you could open up the keypad and resolder the relevant key, assuming it has a complete encoder and not just something cut down for the keypad.

HTH

PN

Incidentally, does anyone know if the USB ports on the 300 are powered or not? I want to get a USB hub, plug it into the CPU and then get a couple of those USB powered laptop lights to use instead of Littlites or something. I could even get a USB powered fan! :blink:

Adam

(I thought I'd post this here considering we were on the topic of USB ports and that I've already posted loads of new topics about the Strand 300. If a moderator wants to split this then please do.)

I may have missed the point slightly, but don't Strand make a 'Designer's Keypad'? They don't go out of their way to advertise it (it's mentioned in passing in the Designer's Remote blurb), but I'm sure I saw a picture of it once, and it looked very nice.

Mind you, whether it could plug straight into the board is another matter. I mean, what would be the point? (Strand would argue). I think it was designed to work with the laptop dongle thing.

Alan.

Given a 520 still runs DOS, which is well before the invention of USB, I'd not be surprised if they did little apart from supply power (a motherboard, not OS thing).

there is programmable keyboard's out there for a lot less than the strand 1

see

http://www.fentek-ind.com/keypad.htm#kpp24ps only 85$

a quick google brings up many more that will work no problem with the 300 or 500 series of desks

ian

You can get USB drivers for DOS (have a Google). So in theory you could get USB thumb drives and USB keypads to work with the 500 series, but it's probably not worth the effort. The programmable ps2 keypad that Henny linked to looks like a good option.

Archived