Qualifications

Stig

I have been looking into rigging courses and have been hearing some contradictory information. Some people have been saying that there is no recognised qualification that you can use in this industry, others that you just have to show competency in what you are doing, therefore experience is all you need.(admittedly by people who have no qualification or people that need something rigging quickly with no one around who is qualified!!)

Does anyone know what the official line is, and if so what qualifications you need?

From the Total Fabs Site:

Q. Does the course make you 'qualified' as a rigger ?

A. No. There is no such thing in the UK as a course that makes you a 'qualified' rigger. In essence, it is necessary to have had training for any work where risks exist. Providing training is the responsibility of the employer. Your training at Total Fabrications will help satisfy that requirement.

Some organisations demand IRATA, which is a fairy heavy duty rope access qualification. Kind of depends on where you are working on a regular basis and what you are doing. For a rigger, a cherry picker license is also rather handy if not essential.

B) There was a meeting few weeks ago at one of the rigging companys I work for about training and qualifications for riggers there were a number of well known people there who are involved in rigging training. Btec's look like the future so Keep your eye open If I fined out any more I will post

there is no qualification for rigging. all the courses that are out there only offer certs of attendance.

as for cherry picker liscences well . I rang univeral and asked about this. he asked me what I did for a living etc . he told me that I didnt need a liscence to drive one but insurance the insurance companies demand one to cover their backs

there is no qualification for rigging.  all the courses that are out there only offer certs of attendance.

as for cherry picker liscences well . I rang univeral and asked about this. he asked me what I did for a living etc . he told me that I didnt need a liscence to drive one but insurance the insurance companies demand one to cover their backs

Well, you certainly don't need a license for a cherry picker, scissor lift, or whatever, in the same sense that you need a license to drive a car on a public highway. But you really should have something to prove that you've been trained in the correct and safe way to operate one and that you are considered competent. If you are driving a cherry picker, you're involved in an accident, and you don't have some sort of proof that you've been properly trained in its use, you (and your employer or whoever was responsible for the management of the site on which you were working at the time) would probably find yourself in BIIIIIG trouble with the H&SE.

There is no one qualification that 'entitles' you to work as a rigger in the UK, and I hope there never is because your employment and prospects should not (and seldom will) be based on just a certificate, but on a mix of training, experience and attitude.

Your employer (that is you if you are genuinely self employed) has a duty to train you where risk to yourself or others is involved in your work.

Training requirements are specified in the 'Management Regs. 1999' also in the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, PUWER and LOLER 1998.

If a recognised scheme exists, for fork lift/MEWP drivers, for example, you would be crazy not to take it. Technically you don't have to have a 'ticket' but for practicality and expedience it is prudent and more importantly a demonstration of competence.

Managements of venues and production companies have a duty to 'vet' contractors they engage, so any proof of relevant training such as this is a good thing for you and for them.

Work at height and lifting equipment maintenance courses are beneficial and often a minimum requirement for the reasons given above, BUT they are not rigging courses.

In terms of people calling themselves riggers, I hope they carry suitable insurance and have had training to the extent that they can justify their decisions and the advice they give. Many of the web forums display an alarmingly poor level of knowledge about the law, forces and structures in the advice given which leads me to believe that the general level of awareness of rigging in small venues is virtually non existent (see the thread about buying trusses).

Advice of this nature costs, because there are costs in providing it, not least professional indemnity insurance. Advice may be obtained within the purchase cost of the equipment, but such information will rarely be complete and certainly will not absolve the user of the responsibilty for appropriate provision and safe use.

On a separate note, although I don't have a solution for students right now, in the 'real world' as Lightnix put it, it is the employer's duty to provide all necessary PPE at no cost to the employee. Students are, I believe, treated as employees and as such it shouldn't cost them. The cost can be offset against tax if you are declaring income whilst studying, I should have thought, so that may help. My eldest is starting uni next year, and though it will be another flaming cost, I have no problem in forking out for them if college won't. It is cheaper than trying to repair toes. And no (Ben?) they may not be suitable for climbing towers repeatedly - review the risk assessment for using towers rather than constructing them!!!

It is also the employer's duty to provide adequate and appropriate training in the use of the PPE, even for hearing and eye protection - there are a surprising number of do's and don'ts even at a simple level.

Hope this helps, and check advice given on the web thoroughly, including this!

Archived