Remote control hurricane lamps

Ellis

I am lighting a show soon and the script calls for (lit) hurricane lamps to be carried on my the actors, be left on stage, flicker and go out on cue with no-one anywhere near.

Before anyone says anything, they will obviously adapted to some form of battery power.

Does anyone know where ready-made lamps with a remote control capability might be hired?

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might achieve this?

TIA

Ellis

I am lighting a show soon and the script calls for (lit) hurricane lamps to be carried on my the actors, be left on stage, flicker and go out on cue with no-one anywhere near.

Before anyone says anything, they will obviously adapted to some form of battery power.

Does anyone know where ready-made lamps with a remote control capability might be hired?

Does anyone have any ideas about how I might achieve this?

TIA

Ellis

I bought a really cheap, non-tunable transmitter/reciever set to do something like that using costumes. The thing was really easy to hook up - connect a 9v battery to it, and use as a battery basically - it had a positive and negative terminal and provided a 5v feed. On the other end, same deal, only a switch between the two terminals. To get your flicker effect, use a 3 position switch like those on lots of cans, where the middle position is off, it holds in one position, and springs back to the center in the other, then your flicker is just a finger wiggle. That is the simple way, the more difficult would be to construct a simple flicker circuit.

If I lived in the UK, I would give you product codes for somewhere like maplins, however I don't, and I doubt you want to travel half way across the world to pick up a few small circuit boards.

Candles are three LEDs one on and two flickering at different rates. Hurricane lamps are a bigger wider flame so more LEDs Remote on-off by radio DMX there's a system out of City theatrical (USA) that controls DC

Thinking sideways and up and down, battery toothbrushes cease to brush when they are put back in the charger. You could build an induction loop charger into positions on the set and control the loghts through that The places the props are to be put could be electrically active -- a Low Volts version of the cordless kettle

Archived