shell/clam footlights

Hi

I am looking for some shell/clam footlights, you know the type that were used yesteryear. Lots of musicals often seem to have them but am having a bit of trouble tracking them down. Even if we could just get hold of one and then we could vac form it into loads.

Anyone got any lurking?

I'm just looking for the shade part, not the bulb holder, we have loads of those!

I know this seems odd, but we bought about 10 pairs of these and our scenic artist painted them.

For footlights, you will probably want to use birdies (par 16). I have seen people attempt to use festoons, however they only work if the footlights are the right shape and painted with reflective paint on the inside.

I might be looking for some too... funny coincidence!

Never thought of vac-forming some though... that's a good idea.

Anyone else got anything to add?

Thanks

David

hi

we have just managed to borrow 20 from leceister haymarket, so depending on when you need them that might work for you too?

thanks for the suggestions, the shell bra is being purchased as we speak, probably for the stripper!

try Cosalt Lighting in Fleetwood, Tyson Lighting in Blackburn, or Andy Thornton in Yorkshire, Bradford IIRC.

These are all suppliers of pub/nightclub/leisure sector light fittings.

They are suppliers I dealt with in my previous life as a shopfitter, and one of them did, and probably still does, sell fittings with a shell shade, set up to take lampholders, but it may be fitted on a base you don't like, to mount to a wall as a picture light. I think they were and still probably are installed in Old Orleans bar/restaurants.

A little alteration and the fiotting you want is there, they sell them in antique brass finish, and probably could do it in polished brass, brushed brass, or any other finish in brass...

Peter Evans Studios do the vac formed ones, give them a ring on 01582 725730, they do them in 1.5mm thick ABS for £2.40 or £1.10 for 0.5mm PVC, this is just for the shell itself, you will need to put a lampholder or birdie behind them.

Cheers

Ian

Archived