Sennheiser mic receiver

Rich

Evening all.

I've been given a rackmounted Sennheiser radio mic receiver. It says "True Diversity Receiver" It has a meter for RF level, one for AF level and a A B indicator. There are 6 channels, 173800, 174100, 174500, 175000, 176400, 177000 MHz.

The model number (I think) is EM 1031-V.

What microphoes are compatable with this receiver, where can I purchase them, and is it any good?

I've had a go with google but can't find much, can anybody help?

Many thanks. Rich

Now then Rich, what's the model of the receiver? I had a Shure SM58 Radio work with a Sennheiser ew100 before, well I think it was a 100 series... hmm

Suppose it would depend how the receiver deals with the lack of data transmitted from the non-Sennheiser mic (if the 17xxxxMHz do data that is) When I say data, I mean battery level etc..

Why not borrow one, like mine or Ben's and see if it works?

Jay :g:

There are 6 channels, 173800, 174100, 174500, 175000, 176400, 177000 MHz.

They're the VHF frequencies, I'm under the impression that all the professional kit you can buy these days is UHF. I suspect that anything on the same frequency will work, as it wasn't until comparitively recently that anything other than simple analogue audio was modulated into the RF.

A google on the model number gets the instruction book, in altogether too many languages...

Quite an old VHF receiver... It probably doesn't have pilot tone, but may well have it's own particular companding rules. It may well work with a third party transmitter, but may not operate optimally.

There should be any number of VHF TXs around for you to try out with it...

Simon is making sense here - the rf specs may need some attention. Frequencies are quite ok, and typical on a budget end VHF receiver. The bandwidth/deviation is the thing to watch, along with the companding. To be honest, the suggestion of trying it is the only sure fire way to assess compatibility. My Trantec receivers are very happy with Sennheiser transmitters, and I actually find them slightly more pleasant sounding than senn-to-senn, probably due to the slightly different companding ratios, but Trantec TX to Sennheiser receivers don't work nicely together.

Oh right, didn't realise it was that simple!

Now then Jay, I'll borrow your's if that's ok? What is it?

Shure do a VHF 58 kit, I'll check the operating frequencies.

Sorry Paul, think we were both typing at the same time then. I see what you mean, I'll borrow a couple of mics and see how they work. Cheers

Evening all.

I've been given a rackmounted Sennheiser radio mic receiver. It says "True Diversity Receiver" It has a meter for RF level, one for AF level and a A B indicator. There are 6 channels, 173800, 174100, 174500, 175000, 176400, 177000 MHz.

What microphoes are compatable with this receiver, where can I purchase them, and is it any good?

The comments about other manufacturer's transmitters working, but perhaps not optimally are correct. For best results you should try to find the right Sennheiser transmitter. Remember the frequencies you are looking for are in the 172.800MHz to 177.000MHz. These units are quite old, but since everyone else's wireless mics have moved up to UHF land, you may have good luck in the VHF band.

Mac

Evening all.

The comments about other manufacturer's transmitters working, but perhaps not optimally are correct. For best results you should try to find the right Sennheiser transmitter. Remember the frequencies you are looking for are in the 172.800MHz to 177.000MHz. These units are quite old, but since everyone else's wireless mics have moved up to UHF land, you may have good luck in the VHF band.

Mac

I've searched ebay, looked at ex hire stocks and googled, but I can't find anybody selling one. Does anybody know where I could find one?

The user manual recons it want's a BF 1081-V or an SKM 1032-VHF

I've searched ebay, looked at ex hire stocks and googled, but I can't find anybody selling one. Does anybody know where I could find one?

The user manual recons it want's a BF 1081-V or an SKM 1032-VHF

You say you have looked at ex-hire stocks, have you talked to the big theater hire companies directly? I don't know what they keep around, but over the years I'm sure Autograph have had a lot of these. They may have managed to dump them all, but maybe not. Being from New York, I don't know who the other theater hire companies are, but it may be worth a call to all of them. I doubt they have much use today for VHF in a world of 40 or 60 RF channels on a show.

Mac

I have racks of Sennheisers Rich, but they're not gonna be much use to you - cause they're UHF.

I have an old Trantec you can try which works on 174.5, but going on an earlier post, your receiver might just laugh at it. (Will have to hunt in the depths of old kit in the corner to find it though!!!)

Jay :g:

• 5 weeks later...

Archived