Maplin USB DMX Interface

Paul_R

Anyone got any idea of how well any of these would work with Robe CyberControl? Just the USB interface that comes with it is a stupid price (£250++) and it also doesn't work with my laptop.

I know Robe CyberControl isn't great but it's perfect for the spontaneous gigs I do!

The thing is that companies put a lot of time and effort into making the software. In order to protect their investment the software is locked to their own hardware interfaces, this way they can get a return on their investment.

The other way would be to sell the software I guess, but then there is nothing to stop people copying it illegally, a hardware dongle is a guaranteed way for them to protect it.

It is very unlikely that any interface will work with the software that you wish to use except the one it was designed for.

Maybe you should have a look at some of the open source / freeware lighting applications that can use a wide variety of cheap interfaces.

Regards

Ben

This is exactly it.

There are free software packages, free ('open') hardware designs for interfaces, and they often go together.

Some paid for software supports both open and commercial interfaces, or just their own.

Some software is apparently 'free', but requires the suppliers own interface.

But the bottom line here is you need to figure out what is important to you. If free is most important, then thats the direction in which to look. You may be lucky, or you may be disappointed.

What I'd advise you to do is always the same. Find some software that you like, that does what you need to do. Software is much more important that hardware. Much much more. Once you've found the software, find the interfaces it supports, and determine if what you need is within budget. If not, try more software.

Good luck.

(I ended up with apparently free software with required specified interface, so the interface costs a 250 quid. But as an overall package price, software + interface for 250 quid sounds much better...?)

I like freestyler myself, superb bit of software and works with loads of interfaces. If I remember correctly it even works with bens interface so for around £100 you could get a top notch set-up.

• 2 months later...

I have just built one of these velleman k8062, all seems to work ok, but does anyone know of a decent bit of software based on a cue stack system (like the strand geniuspro kind of system) which would support this usb interface?

(I have a zero88 xls desk at the venue, not really suitable plus its getting old and dusty, and I was hoping to be able to control 48 generics with my laptop, which would also save on hiring a desk when I hire movers.)

ta.

tom

Archived