Strand 300 vs Strand 520

LeeStoddart

Looking for some feedback from those of you with on experience of these two desks. We are looking at replacing our current desk with either a 300 (with 250 channels) or a 520 (with 350 channels) This is for a theatre venue with a typical mix of touring one nighters, weekly amdram, and annual panto. The 250 channels would be adequate for current and future needs for some years. We have occasional use of movers and this is likely to increase. There are frequently colour scrollers in the rig.

What I'm particularly interested in is what are the differences between the desks and where is one "easier" than the other. They both seem to run the same software so are the differences down to the physical ergonomics of the desk or is it bigger than that? How do plotting sessions differ on the desks? Does one cope with movers "better" than the other? Is the user interface different? Is one better for busking a show?

Thanks

The software is pretty much the same, with some minor tweaks to account for the differences in control surfaces.

For and against:

300:

Is much cheaper

Has a smaller "footprint" for the control surface

Is modular, so you can change layout. (I've done an install with the desk in a L-shape due to space constraints)

Has an external, larger and nicer trackball. (Have you ever tried to replace the trackball on a 500? Not good)

Has "rubbery" buttons that don't have the positive feel that a 520's do.

Is a separate control surface and processor and not really very appropriate for touring.

Only comes with a single VGA output as standard.

Overall build quality is lower.

520 (530, 550 even!)

Has a much higher build quality, with (IMO) the best type of "buttons" for long plotting sessions.

Is more suitable for touring as an all-in-one unit.

It has better access to inside the unit for repairs

It has proper rotary encoders for moving lights.

The 550 has a handy script tray.... <_<

It's bigger and heavier.

Is a whole bunch'o'money

I I had the choice, I'd go for a 520 if I could afford it. But my new building has a 300, because we needed to save money, and at the end of the day it runs the same software.

EDIT: here's that L-shaped 300 install, if you're interested:

http://homepage.mac.com/bryson430/.Public/300%20lshape.jpg

We have both here. The 520 is the better choice by far, 300 is fine for smaller applications we use ours in a studio space and it works well but plotting movers can be a pain because of the physical properties of the desk. it only has one vga port and two DMX ports and no track ball, a mouse is used instead. its also a bit flimsy compaired to the 520 and I personaly dont like the layout of the keys although they are backlite. Software wise there pretty much the same. hope this helps

Deputy dog:

Did your 300 come with a mouse or an external trackball? The last one I bought had a very nice Microsoft external trackball that I much prefer to the trackball built in to a 500. Plus if it breaks, no big deal!.

Thanks for the above info - just what I was looking for. (but there's more of course!)

We are specking two monitors in either option (the 300 does permit a second video card - right)

What is the difference in plotting movers? I understand that the 500 has the encoders but how is this different from using the wheel on the 300?

Thanks again for the input

Not sure about the second video card I have not opened up the 300 YET its only a few months old but having said that it does give you the option of one or two screens in the setup menu. Plotting movers is another story, with the Microsoft trackball you only have control of one attribute at a time where as with the 520 you have control of up to four attributes, this can slow you down a bit on the 300. Also the configuration of the other buttons on the trackball isn't great its very easy to hit one without realising and get you in to all sorts of trouble, but thats just my opinion as I said before I'm not a fan. if money isn't a problem and its strand you want to go for go for the 520

I tour a 300,with 250 channels,2x vga, network ect, I use movers alot and I have nno problems with the trackball, I have made costom att pages for all my movers so I know what order the atts are in ,I have installed one in one venue where I have installed one of the sub pannels side of stage as an idiot proof remote (muilty use venue)

other things lacking on the 300 are

no sound to light - not even as an addon

no smpte - add on

no midi - add on

no network - add on

no HDD, - all data is on a 3mb flash drive

also only 3mb in the desk,a dozen big shows and it soon gets full

one thing I would say is what ever you choose, get it with network and get the usb key.

ian

Thanks for the help guys. Here's another follow up question...

...about longevity of these desks. How long is their life expectancy? Noting that the desk being replaced lasted 7 years, how long can we expect a 300 or a 520 to work reliably before falling apart?

Any other input gratefully received.

The 500 series (no experience of the 300 series) has always been a reliable desk in my opinion, seems to tour well, does what it should when it should do it and the fact Strand keep updating the software every year or so makes is also a very positive feature for the desk. For a series of desk which has a 85% penetration into UK theatres, I think we can all expect the 300/500 series to be supported by Strand for many years to come.

There is a replacement desk in the pipeline at the moment, and we should see more information come out about it in time. From what I have been told about the new desk, there are some very exciting new features - can't say what as I don't think I should be passing on what I have been told!

But anyway, you really cannot go wrong with a 500 series desk in my opinion. As always, if you want to be aboustely sure it might be best to contact your local dealer and see if you can have one to borrow for a week to get some proper experience of it before purchasing.

Stu

Thanks for the help guys.  Here's another follow up question...

...about longevity of these desks. How long is their life expectancy? Noting that the desk being replaced lasted 7 years, how long can we expect a 300 or a 520 to work reliably before falling apart?

Depends on the situation in which it's being used. A desk that lives permanently in a venue, where it gets used properly by staff who care about its health and wellbeing, is going to give you many years of sterling service. On the other hand, a desk that gets bounced in and out of a trailer every week, and is operated by people who know that it isn't their desk and will be going back to the hire company in a few weeks and consequently don't really care about how it's treated (yes, I know not everyone treats rented desks this way, but there are people who do - I've seen the results), isn't going to last anywhere near as long before bits of it start failing.

I suspect that the 300-series may well prove to not be as robust as their bigger brethren - those rubber keys have never struck me as being the most resilient components, and the overall 'feel' of the panels, while not exactly flimsy, simply doesn't have the same sort of solidity and 'chunkiness' as a 500-series desk.

I don't think it's really possible to put any sort of quantifiable figure to the question of the life expectancy of a lighting desk - but as with any other piece of complicated electronic equipment, treat it right and it'll do you proud.

ive used both, I like the 500's features but I enjoy the layout of the 300 and the rubber and backlit keys. the rubber keys are much easier on the fingers, and quieter. although I havent programed movers on either I like the idea of using an external mouse rather than the one built in.

Thanks for the help guys.  Here's another follow up question...

Any other input gratefully received.

Keep in mind that the 520 is about 10 years old now, Although its a great desk it could be come obsolete long before it starts giving you trouble. WE are currently looking at the Jands Vista to replace our 520 (for gigs only Keeping the 520 for theatre shows) We had AC over here (Ireland that is) to give us a demo looks great!

Moderators' note : while the Vista is indeed a fantastic piece of lighting control equipment, this topic is specifically about Strand 300 and 500 series desks. Let's try to keep it on-topic, please. Thanks.

Archived