So Called Advertising

merlin24

I have noticed recently in a few forums that their have been little comments attached to the bottom of emails from certain posters who work within the industry that would imply that they have been accused of advertising, The only advertising I have seen is the signitures at the end of the mails.

I also think that the people who work within the hire and technical sales side of this industry are probably one of the most useful assets you could have, and it would be a real shame if they stopped posting.

It would seem that it is ok to post and advertise your own details to obtain earnings for individuals, or to sell your own equipment. Where is the line drawn because it technically is all comercial advertising.

Your Thoughts!?

Personally I find a signature with the posters company name and location in to not be a problem, for instance

Whitelight, London

Just as an example. However I think that constant bombarding of advertising within a post or signature isn't want we would want to see... For instance companies can now post Press Releases etc to us in exchange for a small donation to Light Relief, so ideas such as these can work, and allow the users to view them (the press releases this is) if they so wish.

Contacting users off forum with a solution to a problem (such as finding that difficult spare for a Patt 828 for instance) I think isn't a problem either.

I suppose everyone will have a different POV on this one!

Hehe

Stu

(Thoughts published here are of mine only, and not the official Blue Room line etc etc :angry:)

I also think that the people who work within the hire and technical sales side of this industry are probably one of the most useful assets you could have, and it would be a real shame if they stopped posting

Couldn't agree more and their contribution is always welcomed. But while the occasional "We have those incredibly hard to find widgets in stock" is tolerated (I think) it is far to easy for every thread to degenerate into "selling". Advice on the best place to buy something is hardly going to be impartial if it comes from somebody in the business of selling that thing.

The only advertising I have seen is the signitures at the end of the mails

That is due to the incredibly high quality of the moderation on this forum :angry: There have been a few cases but posts are usually quickly edited or deleted. Just so as you know, we usually try to PM the poster, explain the position and ask them to edit the offending post themselves.

It would seem that it is ok to post and advertise your own details to obtain earnings for individuals, or to sell your own equipment.

Everybody - individuals and companies - can put contact details and links to websites in their profiles.

People (who's main business in NOT the selling or hiring of stuff) are more than welcome to advertise in the Classifieds forum. Have a look at the T&C's. I think the logic behind this is that it is a win win situation. I can off load that junk that's taking up space in my store and you can pick up some fantastically cheap, top notch kit.

Those of us who are freelancers are constantly advertising our selves in a way. Goes with the territory I'm afraid. Everyone you meet (be it on a fit-up, in the pub or on here) is a potential source of work. I don't think there is much hard selling of services on here though.

Of course - this forum is run for the users so if you think that we've got the balance wrong you should say so. This is still a young forum and the line, as you put it, has been snapped in chalk rather than set in stone.

Stuff like this is constantly being discussed by the moderators and changes are always being made to policy.

Tom

As with Stu - merely my own personal opinion (plus a few stolen opinions used without permission) and not necessarily official Blue Room policy.

Stuff like this is constantly being discussed by the moderators and changes are always being made to policy.

Just to confirm all of what Tom said, and add that if any changes are made to the Terms and Conditions of membership, they will be posted in the Updates forum. If you have a particular reason for wanting to post a piece which could look like advertising, it might be advisable to PM a moderator or administrator (these are listed here) and ask their opinion before posting, as we reserve the right to remove posts. Having said that, with nearly 6000 posts we have had to remove less than 100 posts, including beta testing posts.

Archived