FAL/ministar alike advice please

pscandrett

Can I have a hand please? It might be stupidly obvious to someone, but I just want to check before I start blowing even more lamps :-)

We have a Martin Ministar 250. Nothing wrong with it, works like a stalwart, 24V projector lamp.

We also have another one - that we call a ministar, but it clearly isn't; it's an FAL thing, but this is where the problems start; all of the labels are illegible. From a browse on the FAL website it's similar to this: http://www.fal.it/eng/Catalogo_Scheda.asp?...3&IdProdotto=87 - ours looks like an earlier model of it, it similar to the Martin Ministar (which looks like this http://www.dickropa.com/images/discohire/ministar.JPG ).

Now, the FAL's lamp blew. We had a spare lamp - no problems, I thought, I assumed it was the same as the one for the ministar. Like a plonker I stuck my spare 24V lamp in the FAL one and it blew fairly straightaway.

Upon investigation, the terminals are about 36V and upon further probing (well, rummaging) within the unit, the transformer says it's rated for 36V, 11.1A which works out as 400W. This would explain why the lamp I fitted (a 250W 24V one) went, but after a second or so of warming up!

Does anyone know of an older version of a Florette that takes/took a 36V lamp? Presumably they exist (I don't have the old one unfortunately) but these have been in use for so long here that we all sort of assumed they were the same in all but brand (and one's coloured, but that's beside the point!). Assumption is a weird thing sometimes.

Sooo... my question is, I suppose, should I be looking for a 36V 400W lamp? Anyone know what unit we might have here? Anyone got any comments please? Upon rereading that I suppose I'm not so much after advice as reassurance and encouragement, I think! I feel like I've come over all incompetent but the area of projection lamps (which is what these seem to be) is unfamiliar to me.

Thanks in advance!

Archived