DIY Projector Shutter

3guk

Ive talked about turning a cd player into a projector shutter in the past I cant remember who it was who gave me the idea.

Just bought a cheapie pc CD rom drive off ebay and when I get it am going to convert it !! Hehe

Is there a CD rom drive pinout anywhere so I know which pins to short !! Obviously connect it up to a 12v supply and its 2 of the 50 odd pins.

Has anyone done this before ??! Whats the best way to go about it ??

Regards

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC there is no eject control via the IDE cable, because IDE was invented for hard drives, which dont need eject!

The best way is to remove the front panel and de-solder the eject button and stick it on a length of wire!

Nick

Surely the HD doesnt use all 50 pins, and neither would the CD rom drive im sure there must be two pins I can short to get it to open. Just dont want to waste a cd rom drive.

Failing that ill just de solder the button !!

Surely the HD doesnt use all 50 pins, and neither would the CD rom drive im sure there must be two pins I can short to get it to open. Just dont want to waste a cd rom drive.

Failing that ill just de solder the button !!

1 Reset IDE

2 Ground

3 Host Data 7

4 Host Data 8

5 Host Data 6

6 Host Data 9

7 Host Data 5

8 Host Data 10

9 Host Data 4

10 Host Data 11

11 Host Data 3

12 Host Data 12

13 Host Data 2

14 Host Data 13

15 Host Data 1

16 Host Data 14

17 Host Data 0

18 Host Data 15

19 Ground

20 Key

21 DDRQ

22 Ground

23 I/O Write

24 Ground

25 I/O Read

26 Ground

27 IOC HRDY

28 Cable select pull-up

29 DDACK

30 Ground

31 IRQ

32 No Connect

33 Addr 1

34 GPIO_DMA66_Detect

35 Addr 0

36 Addr 2

37 Chip Select 1P (1S)

38 Chip Select 3P (3S)

39 Activity

40 Ground

if you go for resoldering the eject button then connect it to the mini jack headphone socket on the front of the cd rom drive, you can then make a removable control switch with a mini jack plug on one end, less likely to get snapped off in the van!

So James There is no way of opening it with the ide connections without having a pc ??

Regards

By the looks of it, no. Sticks' solution sounds like a good one- change the 3.5mm headphone jack to be a remote trigger for the eject button. Just paralell the wires across the switch- it should be a momentary, normally open switch. That way the drive can function almost as intended (well, who actually plugs headphones into the front nowdays anyways :rolleyes:) or just pickup a cheapo cdrom drive.

David

I finished it, I can post some pictures if you would like. Took out all the cicuitry leaving just the motor which is powered by 5v and using a phase reversing switch have got it to open and close !!

It has an XLR out which provides the power and the switching !! Sprayed black and it clips on to the projector! Great !!

Nope the cd rom drive runs fine and yes sinec the electonics have been ripped out there is no problem with a timer. Im also running a 5v motor underpowered at 3v and hence its a bit slower and more controlable !!

Anyone want to see some pictures ?? Will quite happily post them ! Just a hole in the back of thre cd player so that I use send the power down an XLR line meaning that if needbe I can use the stage boxes back up to the booth. Meaning that I do not have to run in another cable !!

Also made a bracket for it so that it clips over the back of the projector !! And voila an all in one projector shutter solution for aroudn £15 !!

Archived