Marquee Flying

SGP

Yes, and the answer was to speak to the Marquee company (either supplier or manufacturer) to ensure that the loading of the Marquee structure was appropriate, and that the flying was done from spars / beams which could take the additional weight without compromising the Marquee structure.

Its possible, Liase with the manufacturers for finding suitable positions, and liase with your hirer to attatch to these positions during the assembly of the frame, I f you want to reuse your haanging hardware, you'll have to be there when they take the tent down as well.

I was supplied with 0.5ton Marquee hanging clamps . which where supplied by Outback Rigging

as above DO CHECK WITH THE SUPPLIER OF THE MARQUEE OFFICE THIS IS OK AS THE GUYS ON SITE WILL NOT HAVE A CLUE.

Even when they do allow you to hang from the marquee, the load limit is tight - I got 1 6 way PAR64 iwb, per cross member! For more than this ground supported truss is a safer bet - and has the advantage of not being attached to the marquee in any way.

Just thinking a bit more about it, It can make your focus look interesting as when it gets windy the roof moves up and down a lot and the bigger the span the more it moves

Has anybody ever flowen from a Marquee before, if so where did u fly from, where did u get straps round.

It all depends on what type of marquee. Is it a clearspan or poled? If poled, does it look like vertical truss? Are there horizontal members you can fly off?

As has been said, you need to ask the marquee company for their advice, and if they don't know, either get them to contact the manufacturer or do it yourself.

If all else fails, use a ground support system, as this will bypass all the problems.

Has anybody ever flowen from a Marquee before, if so where did u fly from, where did u get straps round.

Hi SGP,

As all above have said, get advice of weight loadings from manufacturer/supplier of said marquee.

For rigging in marquee's there are a few handy bits of equipment to use, if you are rigging in a clearspan then there are Marquee Clamps (Original name!), these basically tighten into the Cader Groove that is on each beam coming from the apex of the roof to the side wall. There are a few different sizes for different size beams/marquees. Your then left with a rigging point from which to place a suitable sized Shackle and then whatever your rigging from that.

If you want anymore help or places to hire Marquee clamps and other associated rigging then contact me.

Cheers

Dan

Are we talking the same kind of marquees as I'm thinking of - a quarter ton load point? Seems quite a high rating for a lightweight structure? Is this normal?

Hi Paulears,

Although Quarter of a ton is the rating on the clamp, this is not often used as the clamp is overrated for the application. Some of the larger marquee's can take a hell of a weight (For a "Temporary" lightweight structure), on one I was working on last christmas I was told that the roof of the structure was designed to take about 2 tons. This is mainly designed for provision for when it snows so that the roof will take the weight of the snow that has settled on the roof.

Which did lead me to think what if there was a weighty rig hung from the roof and it snowed???

Dan

PS Still check with the marquee provider/manufacturer of the weight loadings for the marquee being used.

Which did lead me to think what if there was a weighty rig hung from the roof and it snowed???

Nothing. Because you would have taken the snow loading and the flown loading into account to make sure that these didn't exceed the roofs ability to support it, i.e.

Flown+Snow < or = to Max load.

In some situations, like the middle of summer in Madrid, you may well be ble to lower the snow load, but only with the approaval from the correct people.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends if it's blowing a gale, too......!!

You can't answer a question like this, especially if you don't have the tent info, they differ wildly, as does their condition. A new 20m span with 3m eaves will be very different from a 40m job that's been around for a few years. It also depends on the number of bays, the load distribution on the frame, the bays and the ground conditions.

Did the company supply it as a structure to rig from?

Has it been inspected?

Is there local damage that may affect the points you're interested in?

Another case of "if you don't know, don't do it", sadly.

There are several suppliers of 'tent clamps' for Kader extrusion type beams which may/may not be supplied with an SWL, but the tents typically aren't - the local bending created by the clamps may be too much for the beam under certain conditions.

Check with the supplier of the building (they don't like them being called tents)

One type used to have a through bolt in the rafters every few metres which was supplied with a healthy rating.

Sorry to be a pain, but I saw some pictures in NZ last week of a collapse at a film location involving one of these buildings which tends to sharpen the senses....

In some situations, like the middle of summer in Madrid, you may well be ble to lower the snow load, but only with the approaval from the correct people.
No you won't. The rigger is not qualified to specify what load may be applied, that is an engineers job. And don't forget, in the summer in Madrid it is quite windy, the wind does more damage to structures than snow does (how many tents have you seen blow away vs. how many tents have you seen crushed under snow. My favourite was Reading many years ago when the comedy tent partially blew away, best laugh they got all weekend)

Archived