Evil Audiences

smeggie

hi

just an idea to see how many people had an evil audience as they were starting out and how you kept them amused.

e.g. I had a crowd of 400 punters that, if there were more than a 3 second b/o immediately thought that the lights had died and then started to panic! this was not fun as there was a 5 sec x/fade at the start of each act. I was 14 at the time and they shouted for blood each b/o! :D

ah well - takes all sorts to make the minestrone.

cheers - andrew

Take a bunch of medical students that losley put something that could be called (in good lighting) a production

Give them the universities fully equipt theatre.

Allow an audience of possibly inebriated medical students to arrive without frisking.

As far as I understand it the house staff ended the show early.

They didn't mind the cat-cals, insults, heckling or tomatoes

but the solid root vegtables could have been seen as a safety risk.

Is that what you ment by an Evil Audience.

yep.

harsh - did you know any of the audience?

one nasty time was when a fella who was leaving that year, decided to kill the aeging sound deck. mid song.

I was on limes that night but as I'm the only one of the crew left from that night; I'm still blamed for killing the desk. ah well - insurance covered that and got us a v.sweet beringher desk and a frog!

I still think that the heckles I got were worth the new kit.

cheers.

andrew

yep.

harsh - did you know any of the audience?

No.

I was atempting to be a physics undergrad at the time but the student TV station I was with did the video (can't remember which performance - probably the dress or something) and I was stuck duplicating copies of this thing late at night.

Yeah - how DID you blow up the desk - and how bad?? I know it was a write off but did you have smoke- smell - flames???

(Only 500? Our theatre had more seats than that)

(I remember loosing a sound desk even longer ago at my secondary school where the Radio Station I helped build got flooded.

HOD Drama was getting some random props out of the loft - when he shattered the main water pipe.

This was 3 floors directly above the studio

(Ooops does this slightly OT reply make me hit 200?

Sorry :D ;) )

ach - how many times have I needed to say this - I Did NOT blow it up :D . I saw it all though;

the powered board got hot,as expected and then started to smoke with all colours of smoke. after this, there was one kickapoo bang and the board fused together. it turns out that the fuse( a piece of wire) had blown [dont know how to do this] jim got a right bollocking for doing the fuse.

;)

gotta remember that the venue was really well fitted out with all standard kit including source 4's, at a secondary school/ 6th form college, that wasnt bad.

the college was v. small and the main venue was licenced for 350 seats, we easily fit the whole college in for a rock show, and another 500 on top from the locals. farting room only then.

:P

cheers.

andrew

a mixture of dust in the innards and spontaneous descular combustion - aided and abetted by the amp in the mixer being too underpowered for the live act using it - the cabs were fine though!

1kw amp to 4kw of cabs.

1kw amp to 4kw of cabs.

;)

You realy want to be careful of doing that. You can do some serious damage to your speakers doing that, not necessarily now but it definatly won't make them last any longer.

:D

1kw amp to 4kw of cabs.

;)

You realy want to be careful of doing that. You can do some serious damage to your speakers doing that, not necessarily now but it definatly won't make them last any longer.

*plays the lampie card* why?

sorry peter - the lampie card doesnt work these days - you are a sparks = well versed in anything that blinks,beeps, or blows up.

B)

anyway, I didn't rig that show --> not my fault for the severe #### up in power ratios.

cheers.

andrew

1kw amp to 4kw of cabs.

You really want to be careful of doing that. You can do some serious damage to your speakers doing that, not necessarily now but it definitely won't make them last any longer.

*plays the lampie card* why?

Basically as you overdrive the amplifier the output waveform changes as it clips and becomes more square-like than sinusoidal, added to which harmonics are produced - and speakers don't really like these things - cones don't like moving with a square waveform and the harmonics can overload the tweeters in particular. And it sounds bad!!

So you need speakers powerful enough for the volume you want then amps capable of driving them.

robloxley summed it up rather well

I will also add though that as the harmonics are created as a function of the base frequencies and often go into the superaudable spectrum it can be a lot harder to hear/detect amplifier distortion than speaker distortion.

Basically speakers don't like super high frequencies across them.

Archived