15 Mins To Get Out Of Costume

James C

One for all you stage managers out there...

Can someone tell me where in an Equity contract it says that actors have 15 mins to get out of costume before starting breaks/resuming work? I've got a current ITC contract and can't find it. Don't know if its only in TMA contracts, or if its one of those apocryphal more-actors-than-audience-type rules.

Oh my - I hoped I had mis-read that thread title.

(I read it as implying that Equity were demanding 15min minimum for costume changes.)

(OK I go and wash brain out and try to do the Granny Wetherwax thing. ) :D

The TMA/Equity Subsidised Rep agreement (or at least the one April '97 one I have to hand) states:

1.4.6 - End of Performance. A period of 15 mins after the end of the performance shall be included in hour per day/week for the removal of make up / changing.

1.5.1 - Breaks during working day. ...if technical or dress rehearsal is continued after a break reasonable time shall be allowed before and after break to permit putting on / taking off of costume/make up.

You are right (of course) that this does not appear in the (much simpler) ITC contract.

I always try and make breaks in the Tech an hour and a half. This gives turns a chance to get out of costume and techs a chance to do a couple of lighting mods / back-up / change a sound effect / sort out that sticking door etc and still actually get a chance to have a break.

Tom, you truly sound like the World's Loveliest Production Manager - I always assumed it was me, but am now humbled by your post. My tiara and sash will be with you shortly...

The 15min costume thing came up when I was looking at a recent change to the ITC contract - If you're doing Theatre for Young People, the meal-break now only needs to be 30mins minimum! I'd never looked for the 15 min bit before, but assumed (as has everybody at every TIE/TYP company that I've worked for) that it was there somewhere. Obviously, in the interests of best practice and a quiet life, I shall endeavour..nay...strenuously endeavour to maintain 1hr meal breaks and costume-change time in the hope that my crown may be returned one day!

Thanks for the info

Archived