Animal Farm - george orwell

Hi - this is going to be our college production next year, just wondered if any of you have done it before and if so what sort of kit did you use (we have used the same style lighting for the last 2 years productions so looking for inspiration) also any special effects used?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Matt

Hi - this is going to be our college production next year, just wondered if any of you have done it before and if so what sort of kit did you use (we have used the same style lighting for the last 2 years productions so looking for inspiration) also any special effects used?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Matt

I've done this before. All lighting was generic. Mainly tints with saturated colour for moments of high drama. Couple of soft focus followspots to pick out moments. The real visual element was the set and cossies.

We did it. I didn't design the rig but I did op a bit. Kit wise we haven't got much so there were rather more par cans and T-Spots in the rig than you'd expect. The group attempted to do it in the round which IMHO was a particularly stupid idea. The problem was the way they may there entrances and exits - They could be seen waiting by at least one half of the crowd at any time. On the plus side this meant they were performing straight under the truss - we could actaully light them from all angles rather than being a bit deprived of angles as we sometimes are. I would tell you about all the interesting stuff we did but frankly we didn't do anything very unique.

I didn't design, but when we did it, we did it outside, using 4 500w fresnels, 2 500w profiles and 4 300w security style floods. Controlled from an Alphapack and a 2 channel switch.

Probably not very inspirational. Good luck with it anyway.

PN

We also did it 'In the round', except there was the stage edge making up one side and so they could enter from the stage. There are pics from DSA somewhere in the Show your Show section. We used a video projector do project images onto the screen on the stage, but it wasn't rear projection so the lights just made it look horrible, especially when the actors stood in front of it.

As for lighting, we used a large amount of profiles about two fresnels and a couple of floods, I'm not sure if our Parcan came into it. All powered off a sirius 24 and 4 betapacks. We also had to set up a TV link so we could see the 'stage'.

Windmill explosion was two stills on the projector. Wasnlt spectacular lighting, but it worked OK.

Geoff

Archived