Jerry-rig a shutter on a Mac Martin Profile 2000

truimalten

Hiya,

I could use some help with the following: I'm going to Poland soon with a ballet that uses moving lights in the wings. The theatre doesn't have enough Martin Performance and no moneys to rent. They do have 4 more Martin Profiles, which would save the day, if they had framing/shutter capacity. Has anyone ever successfully finagled/jerry-rigged, lets say improvised a top and bottom shutter cut on one of these? I was thinking of bringing my aluminium tape and tape of the front top and bottom. The TD may have a cow if I suggest this.

Thanks

16 hours ago, truimalten said:

Has anyone ever successfully finagled/jerry-rigged, lets say improvised a top and bottom shutter cut on one of these? I was thinking of bringing my aluminium tape and tape of the front top and bottom.

My suspicion is that your "shutters" would be in the wrong part of the optical path, so you're not going to get a sharp edge. I'd be more worried about tape giving way, especially with the heat of the beam. (And would anything strong enough to hold come off cleanly, without leaving residue?)

Hippy's suggestion of gobos makes more sense to me. 

• Upvote 1

Adding anything the the front would only act as a top hat/half hat.
At best it'll reduce flare - though without the flocking it'll probably make it worse!

The only way to do this is a gobo.

The usual suspects offer full-frame rectangular and square gobos as standard, eg https://www.goboland.com/product_info.php?cPath=1001_1755_160&products_id=141&location=Europe

As the Mac 2000 Profile has zoom and indexing gobo wheels, you should be able to get something fairly close to what you need - as long as it's fairly square on, of course.

If you need a significant keystoning then it's possible to calculate the keystone/trapezoid adjustment and get custom gobos made.

Try the standard rectangle and square gobos in your previz software of choice and see if it's good enough.