Podcast setup, on a budget!

mm01

On 2/11/2024 at 12:20 PM, sandall said:

I would argue the opposite. If you don't sort out your gain structure while setting up, any distortion or excessive mic-preamp noise is locked-in by the time you get to the ADC stage. El-cheapo mixers (& some less cheapo) won't have PFL, but there is usually some (if convoluted) way of checking levels on each input before you hit Record.

Would agree that the £39 £33 mixer is, for various reasons, the weak link. 

I know someone who uses one of those into an Ipad and a headset for zoom meetings, he uses the headset to keep the local noise down and turns the gain up to compensate. He claims to be an audio expert but never says how or why and is always the worst audio with loads of hiss.

We don't know if it's the headset, mixer or just a line of incorrect level settings.

I have just finshed a Zoom meeting and with this topic being fresh in my mind mentioned it to the 2 people present, One being a frelance sound op and used to do shows such as X factor, t'other ex BBC engineer but although not sound op as such has frequently had involvement of. More recently he has become the local U3A sound guy and originally replaced the Shure 268 (No tone controls) with a Behringer 1202SFX to run their 4 radio mics to front end the halls fitted system.

It worked well until it drank a cup of tea then smoked a ciggy and was sent off the the mixer doctor. In the meantime he was lent a s/h XMIX 1202 FX USB by the mixer doctor and reckons it's everybit as good as the Beringer but has better facilities, especially PFL with decent VU display and 6 Mic I/p's.

He loves it and the trade was quickly made back in the summer.

Sound got a couple of the Micromix2's during lockdown to stream church services, reckons they are cheap and cheerful and the things against them being the lack of balanced ports, mic pre-amp is a bit noisy when it gets past half way and 18V phantom won't drive 451's but they do what were designed for.

I assume the Micromix 1 & 2 are fairly similar units but we have no idea how they compare with the 1202.

Edited by sunray

I've got a couple of the non-SFX 1202s, which are fine for comedy or talks/presentations, where I can live with the lack of PFL. The main weakness is the inadequate heat-management of the PSU (a common Behringer problem). Their kit used to have a reputation of working till it suddenly didn't, so I always carry some sort of backup.

Surprised that his 451s aren't happy with 18V - I thought they were 9-52V.

11 hours ago, sandall said:

Surprised that his 451s aren't happy with 18V - I thought they were 9-52V.

Yes they are, however I've never had them work properly on 12V of a Shure 268 so I was not surprised with his comment.

Someone once told me they draw a higher current than other mics although I've never looked at the spec or measured it.

11 hours ago, sandall said:

I've got a couple of the non-SFX 1202s, which are fine for comedy or talks/presentations, where I can live with the lack of PFL. The main weakness is the inadequate heat-management of the PSU (a common Behringer problem). Their kit used to have a reputation of working till it suddenly didn't, so I always carry some sort of backup.

I have a spirit notepad which is essentially a similar device and I used to use it in so many 'little' situations, as you describe and I think they have the same heating issue too, particularly on the F1 & SX sort of sizes. I carry a Shure 268 in the Notepad case but so far not been needed as a spare.

I've been talking to someone else who also got heavily involved with streaming and podcasts due to lockdown and his goto has always been the Behringer 302 USB but now for economy systems uses the clone, Micromix1 or 2 providing lots of mic gain is not required.

He has used the 'Ising MC' which is 2 mic, 1 stereo when the customer has insisted (some had come with SD card slot) apparently there has been some social media hype about them but he doesn'rate them.

He also added Do Not try these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386035139639?itmmeta=01HPM0GP7K9KBRX4RA4SZJ3YA8&hash=item59e17cc437:g:wA4AAOSwZwtk6CRS&itmprp=enc%3AAQAIAAAA4A5bamkcLoUE8Wki88n0i5chgJJ6iKhVxyC7HcnFss8RcQ65aklFWBYd9jbuP2NfswKBXShtJ07OmGHx8j9W5%2BXJvhBMbXbcBaKKdhjx6E04p1P7nQi5yizLnTl4ze9F7Z1DBK2N5ojYwKvmA9tuudyAhl%2F3eUcPz0s1vb1DChWDIXGI9f1xPJby74stUBQmvtGINWd%2B7kjzEya4%2FUbyVY%2F5OF1haomVjYEAafHfluF7w5xFcbgPX41n9Wrk02SkrEobnZv6a7N6rzybnz4S64xWJU0BXH3oA4RvQHqm6LSh|tkp%3ABk9SR_DjwoC1Yw

I've had no experience of any of these, just passing on comments.

Edited by paulears
requested by Sunray

17 hours ago, sunray said:

I have a spirit notepad which is essentially a similar device and I used to use it in so many 'little' situations, as you describe and I think they have the same heating issue too, particularly on the F1 & SX sort of sizes.

My problem with the Notepad & F1 is the crappy little 3-pin power connector - had (loud) disasters on both when the 0v pin lost contact.

E2A: As it's a week since the question was asked, maybe we are just talking among ourselves?

Edited by sandall
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, sandall said:

My problem with the Notepad & F1 is the crappy little 3-pin power connector - had (loud) disasters on both when the 0v pin lost contact.

I agree that the connector is rubbish. If the unit is being permanently installed, it's possible to just wire the PSU in directly. That's what I did with an SX20 that did about 5yrs heavy service in a rack mount case without any problems. 

I've had F1s in trolleys (with the power-lead cable-tied in place), which gave no problems for many years, but I won't take an F1 out on a job any more. TBF I only had one Notepad disaster; it was brand-new & instantly replaced by the dealer.

I have 5 soundcraft desks from notepad to SX12, starting ate 1990's and not had a problem with lack of contact. However the little tab is very vulnerable. Initially I'd replace the cable until Soundcraft stopped supplying them, I suspect that happened when they were taken over. Instead I fit a mini XLRimage.thumb.jpeg.9722a315704f3b73b201e2aa5d4a8753.jpeg

and a couple of local rivals/colleagues also have a selection, we have standardised on that modification. We were going to use MiniDin to match Behringer but it coincided with repairing one of those and we opted for the better connector.

Edited by sunray

20 hours ago, sandall said:

E2A: As it's a week since the question was asked, maybe we are just talking among ourselves?

I'm still here!  Still haven't finalised anything yet so appreciate all the comments thanks.