Faulty DMX cable

sunray

I received a call earlier today asking for help at a venue I installed stage lighting.

In a nutshell I installed IWB's and 2x 24 channel Anytronics packs about 12 years ago, basically the hall has been turned round during some building alterations and 2019 I dismantled the system and re-installed it at the other end. They were rigging for their Christmas show and some strange activity seemed to be happenning in the DMX chain. I proved it onto this cable (the numbering being length 2metres no2 ie  5 metre versions would be 51, 52, 53 etc). I found pins 1 & 3 in contact with plug shell.image.thumb.png.5941b2d05dc87378394ba3ce5433f028.pngFurther I found one of the fingers (an example circled) had punctured the cable arrowed.image.thumb.png.d78acb8725d9ec3e97f9b4a8657c17e4.png

I asked who had made the cables?

One of the requirements of their procurement system is they receive a copy of the invoice for any materials over £10 purchased for the job, They have stated they went to one of those invoices I provided and purchased a selection of DMX cables from the supplier. I am concerned that any of the suppliers I used would supply bespoke leads like this.

8 hours ago, sandall said:

I would be concerned about any supplier who used these appalling cheap'n'nasty Switchcraft lookalikes for anything that might ever be unplugged.

It's not just the plugs; looks like they did or about to earth the shell, no sleeve on bare earth, poor workmanship. I do use 3mm FST (known by many as install cable) and even use similar markers but no way I'd supply to a customer for this sort of use.